Am I a Candidate For Sclerotherapy?

I'm a 24 year old female, 5'2" & 118lbs. I have had very visible green veins that don't bulge on my legs for the past couple of years - actually one on my leg has been very visible since I was 12. The veins seem to be worsening. I've never been severely overweight (but in 2008 I was around 130lbs) and haven't had any kids, but my job requires me to be on my feet. Sometimes it feels like I have dull pains in my legs. I also have a very green vein under my eye. What treatments would I qualify for?

Leg veins sclerotherapy and laser for facial veins

+2

Duplex ultrasound should be done to evaluate any connection between the deep and superficial venous systems of the legs.  If valves are not working well, the doctor should know that there is a connection between the superficial and deep veins before injecting the superficial system.  You don't want to develop a clot that can travel.  If you are developing aches from standing a long time at work, and have had a visible vein since adolescence, an ultrasound exam would be a very good thing to have.  Sclerotherapy can be done by using a host of sclerosant liquids and foam.  Compression garments, and muscle activity while standing to help pump your blood around, are integral parts of improving your veins along with sclerotherapy.  Lasers are done often wtih facial veins.  The pulse duration, or fraction of a second during which the laser energy is striking its target, is lengthened in the V-beam laser during facial vein treatment to increase the effectiveness.  Some doctors surgically tie off large protruding facial vessels.  Injections of facial veins might increase the risk of the sclerosant traveling to dangerous areas in the head so many doctors avoid this treatment, although others have good success. Sclerotherapy for facial veins is somewhat controversial.

Should have vein evaluation.

+1

What  you are describing are called reticular or feeding veins.  These are the veins that are in between spider veins and varicose veins.  Often times with many reticular veins, worsening veins and a history of having them from a young age, there may be an underlying problem with the valves in the saphenous system leaking(refluxing).  this can be evaluated with a venous reflux exam and, if positive, then these valves may need to be treated first followed by sclerotherapy.  You should see a vein specialist for an evaluation.

In reference to the vein below your eye, this can be treated by sclerotherapy, laser or a micro incision to remove it.   Although many plastic surgeons and dermatologists do not recommend sclerotherapy to eye veins, many vein specialists do perform sclerotherapy on facial veins with excellent results.

Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1

I would encourage you to have a duplex ultrasound done prior to any treatment.  If there are no issues then sclerotherapy may be a good option for you. 

Blue-green leg veins can be treated with sclerotherapy; around the eye vein with laser

+1

The larger blue-green "reticular" vein on the leg can be treated with sclerotherapy--the main risk is temporary darkening.  With olive skin, the risk of increased pigmentation is greater.  Be sure you see a physician with a great deal of experience.  The second edition of our textbook on vein treatment will be published in late 2011.  We do not recommend sclerotherapy for veins around the eyes.  Laser treatment is safer as long as the eye is suitably protected, and the right wavelength (1064 NdYag) for the color vein and the patient's skin.

Baltimore Dermatologist

Candidates for Sclerotherapy (Leg Vein Injections)

+1

Judging by your picture, you may very well be a candidate for sclerotherapy but it would first be necessary for you to be examined by a dermatologist who is skilled in this procedure to see if you would benefit from this treatment and to discuss reasonable expectations. I have been doing sclerotherapy for over twenty -five years and have had good results carefully treating small veins around the eyes as well. Lasers can successfully treat facial veins too. Since the 1920’s sclerotherapy has been considered the gold standard treatment for spider veins on the legs. A sclerosing solution is injected with a tiny needle into the veins causing them to seal shut and eventually become absorbed. The work of carrying the blood is shifted to other healthy blood vessels nearby. It is a very cost-effective procedure that rarely leaves a scar or produces adverse effects and is done in the office.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/leg-veins/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Varicose veins

+1

You seem to have tertiary prominent veins.

They do respond to sclerotherapy.But has to be evaluated by a competent doctor in doing sclerotherpy.THE VEIN AROUND THE EYE SHOULD NEVER BE INJECTED BY ANY THING.

of sclerotherapy:

1: inflamation, and pain.

2: brown pigmentation

3: skin necrosis, and scarring