Sclerotherapy or Laser for my Varicose and Spider Veins? (photo)

Hello Doctors, What kind of treatment (sclerotherapy/laser) would you recommend for my varicose veins (both legs). Please pay attention to the big vein on the front of my upper left leg. How much would the whole procedure cost me w/o insurance? Do I need to run any tests prior to treatment? I am looking for a doctor in Florida. Thank you!

Venous reflux, varicose veins, venous ultrasound

+2

The pictures of your legs show varicose veins.  Varicose Veins are due to malfunctioning valves (reflux) in the saphenous veins.  Think of your veins like a tree with the trunk being the saphenous vein and the varicose veins being the branches.  The branches (varicose veins) are defective because the trunk is not working properly. What you need to make the diagnosis and determine the treatment is a venous reflux exam.  Most likely you will require endogenous laser closure of the saphenous vein followed by microphlebectomies (2mm pin holes) to remove the bulging veins.  All of this is done at the same time. The cost is about 2500$.

Naples General Surgeon

Varicose Vein Treatment

+2

You have obvious venous insufficiency / venous reflux of your legs causing your condition.  Yes, this would require a diagnositic test known as a venous reflux ultrasound to determine the underlying cause of the veins.  Typically there is a defective saphenous vein beneath the surface that needs to be treated in order to cure the problem.  The next step after the ultrasound is typically an endovenous laser treatment (i.e. EVLT) or radiofrequency ablation procedure (i.e. Venefit or VNUS procedure).  I would seek out a board certified vascular surgeon  who specializes in vein treatments in your home state of FL to do your evaluation and treatment, as they are best qualified. The spider veins are usually best treated with sclerotherapy.  I hope the information was useful.

Austin General Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.