Second Round of Sclerotherapy and Veins are Larger/Bluer/Firmer? (photo)

I had sclerotherapy performed yesterday on my right leg from the knee to the ankle, on the right side of the shin. I run 8 miles a day and am 24 years old, and have had sclerotherapy performed before because of reticular veins on the back of both knees. It worked well before, but today, some of the veins look larger, bluer, and firmer?! Is this normal? I expected bruising, but not larger veins...help!!!

Probably normal.

+1

Sclerotherapy of reticular veins can actually look worse before they look better.  The solution used clots the reticular veins and they look darker and, consequently, larger.  Your pictures look like treated reticular veins.  I would allow time for this to heal which may take up to 6 weeks.  Knee length compression hose may help.

Naples General Surgeon

Post sclerotherapy chemical phlebitis

+1

Following sclerotherapy there can be chemical phlebitis, as is expected since an irritant solution (sclerosing solution) has been introduced into the reticular, spider and varicose veins This takes time to heal (3-6 months) and sometimes if it is very painful requires treatment with ibuprofen, Phlebitis PAk and rarely drainage with a timy puncture. Time will heal these and it is essential to use compression stockings for 3-6 months.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1

Those veins look like varicose veins, some are smaller to be consistent with reticular veins. The sclerotherapy has caused clotting , can be also called superficial vein thrombosis . The clots with continue to resolve over months and gradually disappear, but it is a long drawn out process. I would not puncture and extract clots which some physicians might do, it does not remove the clots completely so it is not a great option. When I see veins that are bigger I recommend micro phlebectomy rather than sclerotherapy to avoid this sort of situation. Fortunately given time the situation will resolve on its own

G.Hotchandani, MD

Greenbay, Wisconsin 

Gope Hotchandani, MD
Green Bay General Surgeon