What Doctor to Go to for Sclerotherapy?

I had an ultrasound and doplar study done that showed blockage in my greater saphenous vein from my groin to mid-calf. An interventional Radiologist will perform ELT on that leg.

I'd also like sclerotherapy on my other leg (and on the ELT leg after the healing is complete.) This will be performed by the same MD, the interventional radiologist, who works exclusively in the vein clinic.

Is this advisable or is it recommended that the sclerotherapy be done by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon? Which would mean going to a different clinic?

Choosing a Physician for Vein Treatment - American Board of Phlebology

+3

This is an important question.  The field of vein treatment is a separate discipline, much like dermatology is different than gynecology.  The American Board of Phlebology and the American College of Phlebology both have physician locators for physicians who are diplomates of the American Board of Phlebology.  The board certifies experts who are proficient in comprehensive vein treatment and surgery.

See a vein specialist.

+1

There are many physicians performing vein treatments across multiple speciality groups including vascular surgery, general surgery, plastic surgery and dermatology. There is now an American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine which certifies physicians in vein care as Diplomates. It would be wise to go to a physician who is certified as a Diplomate of the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine to do your complete vein treatment.You can get a list of these physicians by going to the website for the American Board of Phlebology, American College of Phlebology or the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Go to someone who understands venous disease

+1

It sounds like you have significant venous disease. Not that it is dangerous, but it is more than a cosmetic issue. This requires the attention of a doctor who understands the pathophysiology of the venous system. That means either a phlebologist, vascular surgeon or a well versed interventional radiologist. It sounds like you have found a doctor that understands your problem. Stick with him/her.

Robert Swanson, MD - RETIRED
Bay Area General Surgeon

What doctor for sclerotherapy

+1

If you have large, tortuous vessels in your other leg, it would be very beneficial to have a practitioner with the ability to perform ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy. I would stick with your interventional radiologist. While some dermatologists and plastic surgeons are very skilled at sclerotherapy, larger, symptomatic vessels of clinical significance are best treated by someone who can fully evaluate the vascular system of the legs/thighs such as an interventional radiologist or vascular specialist.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist