Will Sclerotherapy Be Complicated Because of my High Blood Pressure?

My high blood pressure is controlled with prescription medication, are there things I will need to adjust before I have sclerotherapy on my legs?

Is it ok to have Sclerotherapy if one has high blood pressure?

+2

Sclerotherapy is a very safe outpatient procedure and can be performed even in the presence of controlled hypertension (high blood pressure).  Assuming your blood pressure is well controlled or only mildly elevated it should not be a problem. 

Long Island Dermatologist

Sclerotherapy is not affected by high blood pressure

+1
Hypertension is very common in our society and hypertension is not a risk factor related to complications during or following sclerotherapy. 

Hisotory of phlebitis, thrombophlebitis, blood clots (DVT), pulmonary embolism, thrombophilia as in clotting complications place you at higher risk of developing DVT and phlebitis after sclerotherapy. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Safe to do sclerotherapy.

+1

Controlled high blood pressure is not a contraindication to undergo sclerotherapy. Sclerotherapy is done without any anesthesia and is very well tolerated.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Hypertension not a risk for sclerotherapy

+1

Hypertension is not a risk for sclerotherapy.  We consider a history of phlebitis or deep vein thrombosis to be risk factors however.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy Safe and Effective

+1

Sclerotherapy is a very easy, safe and effective office-based treatment for leg veins.  We perform sclerotherapy on hundreds of patients, many of whom have other medical conditions such as high blood pressure.  That being said, I would recommend doing elective procedures such as sclerotherapy only when your blood pressure is controlled. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Sclerotherapy is safe even with high blood pressure

+1

Sclerotherapy is perfectly safe to do in patients that have high blood pressure. In the sclerotherapy technique, a sclerosing solution is injected with a tiny needle into the veins causing them to seal shut and eventually become absorbed. The work of carrying the blood is shifted to other healthy blood vessels nearby. This procedure is quite simple, rarely leaves a scar or produces adverse effects, and is done in the office. There is nothing to adjust before your treatment. Of course, it is best to check first with the physician who is doing your treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Well-controlled hypertension not a contraindication for sclerotherapy

+1

the short answer is that mild high blood pressure that is controlled with medication should not present a problem for anyone having sclerotherapy.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Depends on the Sclerosant

+1

If your physician is using saline, he/she might limit the amount utilized. Excessive saline, more than 12 cc. could cause a tiny elevation in blood. However, with normal kidney function this should not be a problem. If you are on a blood thinner that is a different story and an adjustment should be made.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist