What Will Happen to the Blood Flow in my Hand After Sclerotherapy?

Nothing will change.

+1

I frequently treat hand veins both with sclerotherapy and endovenous laser ablation with very excellent and cosmetically acceptable results.  There is also minimum discomfort and associated downtime.  If the veins are treated by either method nothing will change with the blood flow in the hand.  There are plenty of collateral veins to pick up the flow just as in the legs after sclerotherapy and laser treatments.

Naples General Surgeon

I don't recommend sclero for large hand veins

+1

Small veins are probably OK to treat, but the large veins on the dorsum (top) of the hand are usually too large. I do not recommend treating them.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Blood flow after sclerotherapy treatment of veins

+1

Sclerotherapy is a technique in which a solution is injected into an enlarged vein into order to get the vein to contract, subsequently close and eventually be absorbed by the body. Since veins return deoxygenated blood to the heart, when a vein is closed, the blood returns through nearby open veins. That is why varicose or enlarged veins can be treated and eliminated.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Blood flow after sclerotherapy typically is unaffected

+1

Blood flow after sclerotherapy typically is unaffected in the extremities including the arms and legs. Generally, speaking sclerotherapy is used to clot small veins called venules that are propogated or grow during the aging process. If you stop the flow to these extra blood vessels, the normal blood flow is unaffected to the rest of your body.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy results in redirection of blood flow

+1

When the superficial veins are sclerosed, the blood flow that typically passes through these veins is usually re-directed to other veins that typically lay deeper in the extremity.