Is Sciton Micro Laser Peel Safe for Sensitive Skin?

I have very sensitive skin. I have brown spots, some visible spider veins, mild scars from my electrolysis treatment and visible pores. I want to clear the scars, pores and brown spots but worry about the veins on my face. My doctor suggested 50 micron Sciton Micro laser peeling treatment. Can this treatment make the veins more visible or make more spider veins ?

IPL is Safer than Laser Micropeel for Sensitive Skin

+4

Thank you for your question. Laser Micropeel is excellent for pigment, wrinkles and fine lines but a Laser Peel is an irritant and can cause irritation of very sensitive skin.

IPL-Intense Pulsed Light-also called Photofacial- is excellent for pigment and small blood vessels and is a gentler treatment for sensitive skin. IPL is more effective than Laser Micropeel for treating small blood vessels. In some cases Laser Micropeel can make small Blood Vessels more obvious.

Sciton Micro Laser Peel is safe for sensitive skin

+3

There are a few caveats here.  A 50 micron Micro Laser Peel may be irritating if done all at once.  If you have not had a laser peel previously, I would start with a 10 micron peel and see how your skin reacts.

A Micro Laser Peel generally should not make more spider veins because it is contained to the epidermis, and the blood vessels are in the dermis.  However, if there are brown spots on your face that mask a dilated blood vessel, removing that brown spot may make the redness more visible.

If you do a series of 10 micron laser peels, they should approximate the effectiveness of a deeper peel but will be more gentle on sensitive skin.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Spider Vein Visibility and Laser Peel

+1
This type of Peel is safe for sensitive skin. Yes, you can exfoliate sensitive skin, it can prevent premature aging. The laser peel will not cause more spider veins to appear, however it may make the current spider veins that you do have more visible to due to the ablation of the laser.

Mansour Bendago, FRCSC

Sciton Laser Peel with sensitive skin

+1

If you have very sensitive skin I would recommend starting with a more gentle laser peel, 10-20 microns in depth.  If you do well with this depth then I would simply repeat it once or twice more over the coming months to approximate the 50 micron peel you were recommended.  It should not make spider veins appear but it may occasionally make small vessels which were already present more noticeable when overlying pigment is removed.  Performing a treatment with IPL / BBL at the time of the second and third laser peel should do well in resolving the appearance of the vessels. 

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon