I've Heard Conflicting Things About Getting A Facelift After Botox Injections. What Really is Right?

Some of you say absolutely safe to have Facelift with Botox injections that have already been done. On the other hand I am getting warnings of that it is a bad idea and wait until after for the best results. Bottom line anyone? Who should we listen too? Thanks

Facelift after botox

+2
There is no problem having a facelift at any time following Botox injections. The Botox is typically injected in the brow and forehead while a facelift involves tightening of the skin and muscles of the cheek and neck. They will not interfere with each other at all. Good luck.

Botox timing with facelift

+2

There is no problem performing a facelift after having Botox therapy.  It will not affect the surgery results.  I would not recommend having Botox any time within  a few days before surgery to  2 weeks after. It would be advisable to have the botox effect stable prior to surgery and swelling after surgery may affect its placement and efficacy.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after having Botox injection is OK

+2

You have had the Botox injections probably on your forehead or between the eyebrows or around the eyes and now considering facelift. This is safe and OK and there is no reason to wait. But if you were considering forehead lift or eyelid surgery, I would recommend waiting about 3 months.

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Hearing conflicting opinions about have Botox and Face Lifts at the same time or sooner thereafter, who's right?

+2

I have performed Botox injections and Face Lifts for over 20 years and IMHO, if both are performed properly, they are mutually beneficial and pose no threat to the final outcome of a Face Lift.  Who to listen to?  IMHO, it's always best to listen to the advice of a surgeon capable of doing both to you...that way you know you're not getting a biased opinion based on the limitation of what procedures they offer. 

I personally can't imagine an experienced Face Lift surgeon telling a prospective Face Lift patient that they were concerned about the safety of performing a Face Lift because they had received Botox recently, or because they were planning to do Botox at the same time as the Face Lift.

Don't have BOTOX and the same time and place surgery is being done.

+2

Having said that, a lower facelift and say eyebrow and forehead BOTOX just is not an issue.  An experience surgeon will know what is appropriate.  Bottom line is you either trust your surgeon or you don't.  A gazillion opinions from people who don't know what is being done and how, are worthless.  Stop letting yourself be stirred up by well meaning but unhelpful advice.

Boox of Forehead wait.

+2

In my practice only the botox of the forehead should be absent befor a brow lift.  The other areas do not matter.  Botox of the forehead can effect the height of the brows and can alter the height reading.  Sometime i will take a eyebrow height measurement before the botox for a baseline and then it does not matter.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Botox will not conflict with a facelift

+2

Botox is effective at treating dynamic line, particularly the '11' lines in the forehead. Facelift will address static lines and laxity, or wrinkles at rest. They work differently and can compliment one another. You should be fine for facelift after Botox.

peterejohnsonmd

+2

I personally like my patient without the Botox effect before any facial surgery. But that is just me. 

Botox treatments and Facelifts are mutually exclusive approaches

+2

Botox and facelift surgeries are mutually exclusive.  Both compliment each other and don't interfere with each other.  Stop listening to lay opinions.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Botox doesn't conflict with a facelift

+2

It is uncommon to use Botox in the areas treated by a facelift so these can be mutually beneficial treatments and not mutually exclusive.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS