1.5 months post op of Voluma XC in my cheeks, the effect is diminished. Could I have caused this?

1.5mos ago I tried Voluma XC in my cheeks (1 syringe each). I loved it -especially how it made pores appear smaller. However 1 mos later the effect is diminished-maybe 30% of the original vol. Nothing near the almost 2yrs possible. Could I have caused this? (exfoliating brushes, red light therapy, other hyaluronic acid prods.) Can it be diluted like botox as some Drs have been cited for? I am seeing my Dr. in 2 weeks & but I'm hesitate to spend more $$ until I have more info

Voluma For Cheek Enhancement

+4
Thank you for your question.  Voluma is a wonderful product for enhancing the cheeks and midface.  None of those treatments you mentioned caused the Voluma to dissipate.  What is much more likely is that you simply did not get enough Voluma at the initial treatment.  In the FDA trial, the doctors had unlimited syringes of Voluma to use.  In fact, the average was over 6 cc per patient.  Additionally, all patients were offered a touch up procedure at 1 month.  60 % of the patients did a touch up and the average was another 2 cc.  In real practice, I have never injected that much Voluma into a patient.  We do tell all patients that we want to reevaluate them at 1 month.  At that time it is likely they would need an additional 1 or 2 syringes depending on the correction and look they are desiring.  I frequently inject 3 cc total on the first injection session (1.5 cc per side), but this has varied from 1 cc to 4 cc.  Every patient is different.  At your follow, I would recommend discussing your concerns and desires with your physician.  Hopefully, in the end, you will be as happy with the product as I am.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for cheek volume restoration

+2
Voluma should last up to 2 years, although the results do vary to some extent. at 1.5 months post treatment you should definitely still have an effect. it might be that you actually need more - in the clinical trials the average number of vials injected was 6. perhaps in the early post-treatment weeks you enjoyed some 'volume' related to swelling. it is unlikely that anything you did caused this.  i'd return to your treating doctor and she what he or she says. good luck.

Katherine A. Lane, MD
South Burlington Oculoplastic Surgeon

Voluma can last up to 2 years or more, individual results will vary.

+2
The original FDA approval trial indicated that Voluma can last up to two years.  Of course every patient will have their own experience. In the trials patients received on average 6 syringes. It may be that 2 syringes was not enough for full correction in your case and that the initial change was partly swelling.   Check with your physician and see if you need a bit more to get the result you want.  Things like exfoliating brushes, red light or other HA products should not diminish results.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma results

+2
Please discuss this with your doctor.  The results immediately after injection can be enhanced due to swelling, so this may be a factor. One cc per cheek is a relatively small volume, so it is possible you where undertreated.

Timothy Connall, MD

1.5 Month post Juvederm Voluma XC and the effect has diminished. Could you have caused this?

+2
The new Juvederm Voluma XC is a very natural volumizing injectable that we get consistent beautiful results with.  The problem you may be having is that you didn't have enough.  Although Voluma is very effective and can last up to 2 years, it can take 5 or even 6 cc's for a patient to get full correction and have the lasting effect.  Now that you can see how pretty the effects of Voluma can be, I would say go for the full correction and you will benefit for 2 years with that pleasing result you had in the beginning. 

Brian J. Parker, MD

Voluma Disappeared

+2
In general, I find Sculptra to be a higher volume filler that lasts consistently longer than any other non-silicone filler on the market. One vial of Sculptra = 8 ccs vs one vial of Voluma = 2 ccs. It is also more cost effective for patients requiring a high volume filler. Hope this helps.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Voluma XC

+1
1 ml in each cheek is a relatively small amount of volume. I suspect you may have had some additional volume benefit from the swelling associated with trauma from injection. After the swelling subsides you are left with only the effect of increased volume from the filler. You may want to consider having additional Voluma injected. I hope that answer is helpful. 

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and volume injected.

+1
Voluma is a great product and depending on the correction needed sometimes more than one syringe in each cheek is needed.It’s very likely that you need more product.Check with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Allen Gabriel, MD, FACS
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Probably need more voluma

+1
two syringes is a relatively small amount of voluma and you most likely need more. you must have had some swelling for a few weeks and you liked the look....should be able to recapture that look with some more product and it should last a long time. unfortunately voluma is fairly expensive when you consider several cc's are typically needed to get the desired effect.
     doubt what you did had any impact but you should discuss any other manipulations you are planning with your injecting MD befor you do it.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

More Voluma is probably needed

+1
As the other physicians have answered, you probably need more Voluma.  Sometimes the initial swelling can last for up to 6 weeks and then what you see is really what you got.  It often takes several syringes to adequately lift and shape cheeks.  I would return to your physician and see if they agree that more is needed.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon