Scheduled Tummy Tuck & Maybe Breast Implants. Which Implant Suits Me Better?

Im a african american female scheduled for a tummy tuck in 4 months and I am considering Breast implants because i loss breast mass after pregnancy. My question is whch is better saline or silicone? Im concerned with silcone leaking into my body but my doctor is straight smitten w/ the memory gel ones and wants me to consider those and tells me that they are safe One of my breast are smaleer than the other and the silicone comes pre-filled so im also concerned with dis proportioned breast.

Saline vs silicone

+2

In my practice, the majority of women choose silicone implants.  Silicone feels and looks more natural than saline and in addition, the currently available silicone implants manufactured by both Allergan and Mentor do not actually leak. Different sized silicone breast implants can be used to address a size difference but everyone has some degree of difference and you will also after surgery.  The idea is to make the difference less noticeable not to try to make the breasts perfect equal in size.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Choice of breast implants

+2

The choice of the best implant for you can really only be made by direct consultation with your plastic surgeon.  Your body and starting point and your specific goals need to be considered so that the right style, profile and size of implant can be chosen.  Best under the muscle.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Saline or Silicone Breast Implants?

+2

Ultimately, the best  choice of breast implant will depend upon your physical examination and your goals. This will be best determined after history and physical examination in person.

Generally, the type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.

On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

Saline vs Silicone Breast Implants

+2

When helping patients decide between Saline vs. Silicone implants I like to evaluate the pros and cons of each type of implant with the patient.   Ultimately the choice is up to you and you should feel comfortable with your decision.  You should find a board-certified plastic surgeon that can help you make an informed decision that satisfies your concerns and needs. In my practice I have also found that 3D imaging (vectra) and simulation can help patients make better decisions regarding the implant type and size. Below is a quick list of the pros and cons of Saline and Silicone gel implants that I review with my patients:

SILICONE GEL IMPLANT - PROS:

* More natural "feeling" -- better replicates the feeling of natural breast tissue

* Less likely to show "rippling" on the surface of the skin -- particularly in patients with little breast tissue 

SILICONE GEL IMPLANT - CONS:

* Requires a slightly larger incision for placement

* More difficult to determine if the implant is ruptured -- the breast will not deflate and you may need an ultrasound or MRI to determine if the implant is intact

* Silicone exposed to the breast tissue may create a local "inflammatory" reaction and therefore a ruptured silicone gel implant should be removed/replaced

* Higher cost -- roughly twice the cost of saline implants

SALINE IMPLANT - PROS:

* Filled with saline (salt water) that is totally safe and can be absorbed by your body if the implant breaks

* Can be placed with a slightly smaller incision compared to silicone gel implants

* Usually half the cost of silicone gel implants

* You will know if the implant is broken due to the obvious deflation of the breast -- you don't need special tests to determine if the implant is intact

* Can be differentially filled -- can fill one implant slightly more than the other to compensate for breast volume differences (Helpful in your case - since you think one of your breasts is smaller than the other)

SALINE IMPLANT - CONS:

* Less natural feeling -- saline implants tend to feel "firmer" and more like a "water balloon" compared to silicone gel implants (especially in patients that do not have a lot of breast tissue to cover the implant)

* More prone to rippling -- saline is less viscous/thick than silicone gel and therefore ripples on the skin surface are more likely with saline implants

I hope that this information will help you make a decision that is right for you. 

Max Lehfeldt, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Saline or silicone

+1

There are several choices and considerations to discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon during a breast augmentation consultation including saline or silicone and with or without a lift. More than 90% of my patients choose silicone implants. They definitely have a more natural feel. For patients having a breast lift with implants, I strongly recommend silicone over saline.

Looking at your breasts the way a doctor does can be an emotional event full of new information which may be hard to process, but it is essential that you and your doctor are ‘on the same page’ regarding the type of implant and surgical approach that will be used. After the initial consultation, I prefer to see all of my patients one more time to be sure that we have answered all of the questions.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Mommy MakeOver with silicone VS saline Breat Imlants

+1

Silicone breast impants are perfectly safe and once they rupture, silicone does not go throughout the body. The choice of a breat implant would depend on the amount of breast tissue available to cover it, the stretchiness / elasticity of its skin, th slope f the chest, the location of the nipple complex among others. The choice of saline VS. silicon gel implants depends on your wishes considering silicone gel implants ripple less, are lighter and feel much more natural. Saline implants are cheaper, placed through a smaller incision, can be filled to different  volumes allowing correction of small volume asymmetries and easier to see the breast with mammograms. 

You need to discuss the prs and cons with your surgeon and be sure to understand which would be best for you. 

Peter A Aldea, MD

Saline vs Silicone implants

+1

The choice of saline vs silicone is a long discussion. In general, silicone feel softer.  Saline can be easiliy adjusted for minor discrepancies but the fill valve is often palpable through the skin.  It is easier to detect a saline rupture because the breast deflates. These are just some of the differences.

Tummy tuck and possible breast implants

+1

Thank you for your question. I understand your concern.  In my practice, most women choose silicone breast implants but some are still concerned about the safety of silicone and choose saline implants.

It is important for you to know that both saline breast implants and silicone breast implants have been cleared by the FDA as safe for use.  Also, both implants can be used successfully for the correction of breast asymmetry.

You can go to the FDA web site to read in depth material about silicone gel implants and make a decision that is right for you. Discuss this further with your plastic surgeon.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Saline vs Silicone

+1

I generally recommend silicone gel implants as I find that they are, on average, more likely to produce an aesthetic look and feel.  I have many patients who are very happy with saline implants and they are always a good choice.  That being said, I usually feel that the silicone gel produce a superior look.

Silicone gel implants come in different sizes, and I do not hesitate to use two different sized implants if I feel that that would be the best way to address asymmetry.  With saline implants I am more likely to use two different sized implants, each filled to the same percentage, than to overfill one implant.  The overfilled implant may otherwise feel firmer than the less filled implant.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS