How Does Weight Gain Affect the Results of SmartLipo MPX?

Now I'm strictly determined to loose the weight I gained before my upcoming smart lipo mpx in November 2011. Will the weight I gained affect the outcome results of the smart lipo mpx procedure?Will it make my abdomen and love handles look less flat and slim? I greatly appreciate your answers! Thank you!

Weight gain will effect your liposuction results

Common myths about liposuction, including SmartLipo

• The results are permanent even if you gain weight.
  • Liposuction is a weight loss solution

The truth about liposuction

• The results are only permanent if your weight remains the same.  All the fat cells are not removed and the remaining fat cells will expand with weight gain reversing some of the results.
  • Patients who are obese, should lose weight prior to having liposuction.  Patients with BMI (body mass index) over 30 are poor candidates and have a higher risk of compliations.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

The nearer to your ideal weight you can be and stay after SmartLipo the more succesful your treatment will be.

The nearer to your ideal weight you can be before and stay after SmartLipo MPX the more successful your treatment will be.  Gaining weight before the procedure will make the procedure more difficult to perform.  Gaining weight after SmartLipo MPX may distort your newly sculpted shape.  Try to stabilize your weight before and after your procedure for the best results.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight gain before liposuction can ruin your elasticity and the lipo results too

It is very important to understand that the best liposuction results come in those patients with the best skin elasticity regardless of the liposuction technique employed.  Laser lipo doesn't make poorly elastic skin shrink any better than traditional liposuction.  So if the weight gain you have had is enough to effect your elasticity, liposuction may not be the answer for you.

Gaining weight before a lipo procedure is not what most of us would do

Thanks for your question – gaining weight before a lipo procedure is not what most of us would want to
see prior to the procedure – either traditional lipo or laser lipo like the SmartLipo. We want patients to be
at their ideal weight, stable at that weight, or losing some weight to allow the procedure to have its best
possible outcomes. Afterwards, we do need everyone to be on a diet and exercise program to enhance
the sculpting procedures that have been done during the surgical procedure. We all hate when we
examine a patient who comes in following this who claims the procedure did not work and when put on
the scale has a significant weight gain. We need the patient taking care of themselves, working to make
the procedure work, and when done correctly, one can achieve wonderful results, increased tissue
contraction with SmartLipo.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

SmartLipo is best for diet resistant fat pads

Do your SmartLipo at a weight you can hold.  Your protuberant areas will shrink with the treatment and you should work on keeping your weight stable.  Optimally if 2, 3, or 4 lbs are removed your new weight should be 2, 3, or 4 lbs. less.  If you gain weight it will tend to go to other areas such as internal fat, or in another extenal and visible area.  Weight gain may also contribute to illegularities in your result.  Even with weight gain, the area of treatment should look better, ie smaller, but weight gain is not doctor recommended.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results and affects of weight gain

Regardless of the type of liposuction (Smartlipo MPX, Vaser lipo, etc) maintaining a healthy weight through a good diet and exercise program is always important, both before and after your surgery.  Not only will this help decrease risks of developing health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension; but it will also limit the loss of skin elasticity we all experience as we age.  Improved skin elasticity will contribute to a better liposuction result.  Work on losing the weight and keeping it off and this will contribute to a good liposuction result.  Good luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo and weight gain

In general, patients that are near to ideal weight or moderately overweight have the best results with liposuction, including SmartLipo.  If you were to gain weight afterwards, you would likely gain it more preferentially in areas that you didn't have liposuction.  SmartLipo generally gives better results than tradtional liposuction, as it gets better skin tightening and somewhat less swelling and bruising.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon