I Am Scheduled for a Tummy Tuck in 2 Weeks, is It Okay to Continue Using Medication for Osteoporosis?

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck in 2 weeks, is it okay to continue using medication (Atelvia (risedronate sodium)) for osteoporosis

+2

Dear DF,

thank you for your post.  You should always let your surgeon and anesthesiologist be completely informed on all your medications.  They should have no problem with these.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Okay to Continue Using Medication for Osteoporosis?

+2

Do let your surgeon know, but there should be no issue with the use of the osteoporosis medicine before your upcoming surgery.All the best. 

Use of Atelvia during surgery

+2

Thanks for your question. As with any drug, you should definitely inform your surgeon and anesthesiologist about what you are taking prior to your surgery date. There is nothing in the literature about this drug and tummy tucks, although there are issues with this agent and bony (particularly jaw) surgery. As long as your surgeon, and probably the physician who prescribed your Atelvia, are aware and on board, you should be fine.  Good luck!

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Osteoporosis medication and a tummy tuck.

+1

This is a question for the surgeon you are having the procedure with. It should not interfere with the surgery, but clear all of your medications with your surgeon in your preoperative visits.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Osteoporosis medication can be taken at the time of an abdominoplasty.

+1

Final say as to what medications you can and cannot take rests with your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist. I don't think there's a contraindication to continuing this medication prior to surgery.

Osteoporosis and tummy tuck

+1

I do not think this will be a problem.If you are taking herbal suplments then I would stop all of those about 2 weeks before your surgery especially fish oils.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon