Scheduled for a Mini Tummy Tuck and Ventral Hernia Repair Expectations Unreasonable? (photo)

I had a colon resection and then an emergency repair 10 days later. Healed by secondary intention. I have severe distasis. I have two Dr's both General and Plastic Surgeon working in tandem. I am hoping for a very good result. I know there are no guarantees and reference is made to cross stitching and the plastic surgeon coaching the general surgeon to really tighten the upper abdomen. And I will essentially get full tummy tuck with redraping of skin. I wonder opinions on possible results?

MiniTummy Tuck and Ventral Hernia Repair

+2

Hopefully, your plastic surgeon is performing a full tummy tuck and not a minitummy tuck.  I would expect a nice flat stomach with a much improved contour.

Optimistic About Tummy Tuck & Hernia Repair

+2
I am optimistic that you should have a good result with both your surgeons working on reconstructing the hernia, correcting the rectus diastasis and tightening the skin.  There are a couple of issues that will compromise your results slightly.  Thes factors include intra-abdominal fat, the high periumbilical scar, and the relative lack of skin laxity. These issues will compromise how much flattening can be achieved, the appearance of the umbilicus and the position of your scar...all issues important to an excellent cosmetic outcome.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Full or minituck

+2
I am uncertain why your physicians have not recommended a full tummy tuck to you. Based on your photos and history, it is what you need. Let me add that many plastic surgeons are boarded or fully trained in general surgery as well so I do not understand the notion of your plastic surgeon coaching the general surgeon through the upper abdominal work as opposed to doing it himself.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Scheduled for a Mini Tummy Tuck and Ventral Hernia Repair Expectations Unreasonable?

+2

It is not easy to  comment on your expectations since you haven't expressed them in your posting. Hopefully it is incorrect where you note you will have a mini-TT, because if you have one you will need a full TT. A mini_TT is limited to the abdomen below the navel, and it would be quite difficult to fix you hernia with that limitation.

I would anticipate a flatter abdomen from the hernia and diastasis repair, and removal of excess abdominal skin, and an overall improved contour.