I'm Scheduled for Lipo This Thursday, is It Too Many Areas?

I'm not going under general anesthesia and I am having my chin, calves, knees, inner, outer, front thighs and banana roll done. This is scheduled for one appointment and since there is a limit to how much local they can use, I have to give them the order of areas in case we can't finish...any suggestions, I'm starting to get really nervous.

Multiple areas of liposuction

+2

You are very astute to ask this very important question. There are a number of parts to this issue. First is the risk of toxicity from the medication (usually lidocaine) that is used to produce local anesthesia. The more areas, the higher the potential dose, the higher risk of complications from toxicity that may not be evident until hours after surgery. Second is the total volume of fat. The more fat removed, the more potential blood and fluid loss. Some states restrict the total volume removed in an outpatient clinic (in California, it is 5 liters). Thirdly is the physiological reaction to liposuction such as fluid loss and swelling. The wider the surface area, the higher the risk of fluid and perfusion problems since the area suctioned is like an internal burn with leakage of intravascular fluid. This can lead to hypovolemia and shock, which may secondarily lead to fluid overload as the anesthesiologist increases IV fluids. Without know the details of your surgery, I can only say that it is important that your surgeon has a idea of priority of areas and allows himself an "out" where he can curtail the procedure. You might want to address these issues with your surgeons if you haven't already. It is always safer to come back another day than to push to the end if there is uncertainty.

Robin T.W. Yuan,M.D.

Liposuction of Numerous Areas under Local

+1

You have to prioritize the areas that are most important for you.  Once you have this, there is no reason to worry.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction and anesthesia

+1

Good luck with your surgery. I prefer to use sedation with an anesthesiologist because my patients are very comfortable and I can do my best work when they are relaxed.  Can't tell you what to do, because I would probably do it all if you are healthy.

It depends on the amount of fat being removed.

+1

I depends on the amount of fat being removed and your body weight, and the amount of lidocaine they are planning on using.   Usually, if you are doing this many areas, it is frequently easier on the patient to simply use general anesthesia.   Also, I would be sure that this is being performed in an accredited surgery facility.    Often, when Doctors try to use just local anesthesia it is because this procedure is being done in an office and not an accredited surgical facility.  It is safer for this amount of liposuction to be done in an accredited surgical facility,

Best regards,

Dr. Smith

Lane Smith, MD

Liposuction Safety

+1

Thank you for your liposuction question. My thoughts -
• A lot depends on how much fat will be removed,
• There are limits to what can be done safely under local anesthesia,
• Are you being treated in an accredited out patient surgery center,
• Has your surgeon discussed safety issues with you?
• Are you being treated at a franchise that books patients for surgery and you  don't see the surgeon until right before liposuction?
• Before the day of surgery, you must speak to the surgeon to discuss your concerns - they are reasonable. Best wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Should be fine

+1

If you are nervous or have questions about your procedure, you should really be calling your doctor.  I would not never allow a patient with unanswered concerns to have a procedure as you describe without making sure they are comfortable.  

That being said, the areas you mention GENERALLY do not require much tumescent fluid - so they should all be able to be done on the same day without a problem.  The inner and outer thighs will probably require the most tumescent fluid.  

Is it possible for you to split up the treatments into more than one session?  You might be more comfortable post operatively with fewer healing areas after each session.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon