Scheduled for a FTT W/flank Lipo, Breast Lift and Outer Thigh Lipo in 1 Surgery Aug. 26th. Aka- Mommy Makeover-SAFE?

I am a 27year old mother of two (4 and 3 yr old). 5'8" tall - 137lbs. I quit smoking (smoked a max of 5 cig. a day)on June 9th for my upcoming procedure. I am a regular at my local gym. I am having anxiety with the safety of doing all three at the same time. Blood clot risks, nerve/persistent unbearable pain damage, anesthesia, what the potential recovery time may be? Am I over reacting with all the nervous thoughts?! Any recommended recovery supplies to help easy my recovery?

Mommy Makeover Safe

+2

As long as you do not have any medical condition to alarm anesthesia, or your surgeon, you should be good to go.  We require pre testing, ( per anesthesia protocol) prior to surgery to assure us that you are healthy and in good medical condition for surgery.  This should be standard procedure at any outpatient / hospital setting. Take multi vitamins and extra vitamin C, as long as your surgeon is good with this.  Discuss any concerns with your Plastic Surgeon prior to your surgery. 

Mommy Makeover Safe

+2

Mommy Makeovers are one of my more frequent procedures.  Obviously to have any surgery, you have to be in good medical condition. You have stopped smoking which is essential.  Exercise before surgery is very important. I also start my patients on multiple vitamins and a separate iron tablet. At least 2-3 weeks before surgery, I like my patients to start on 30 grams of extra protein (in addition to their diet). After surgery I boost up the protein requirement to 60 grams a day.  

Blood clots are a concern with any surgery. I try to prevent these with pneumatic stockings during surgery and while in the hospital (usually one day after surgery). When appropriate, I use a drug named, Arixtra, after surgery to further help with prevention. Early ambulation is essential.

Every operation has risks, but I try to anticipate what the main risks are and then try my best to prevent them.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Safety and multiple plastic surgery procedures including an abdominoplasty

+2

The biggest and most feared risk of an abdominoplasty are blood clots, DVT and PE.  The incidence of this problem is low in the plastic surgical population.  The longer the operation the higher the risk.  It is not unreasonable to perform these three procedures at one time as long as you are health and in good physical condition.  I place all my abdominoplasty patients on a 10 course of Lovenox, a blood thinner, to decrease the risk of blood clots.  You should speak with your plastic surgeon so that you can understand the risks and complicaitons and make an informed decision about your operative choices. 

Multiple procedures and safety

+1

There are couple considerations for multiple procedures done at the same time.  Obviously, the safety should be our number one concern.  With several procedures, the operative time could be very long.  As operative time gets longer, complication rate (infection, bleeding) becomes higher.  In addition, your recovery will be tougher with so many surgeries all over your body.  Some patients may want multiple surgery in one session to avoid multiple recovery.  However, it will be best to limit surgery so that the operative time is less than 6-8 hours.

Sugene Kim, MD

Are multiple surgeries safe?

+1

The multiple surgeries you describe, better known as the Mommy Makeover, are done all the time. Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and anesthesiologist will want you to have blood tests, a history and physical to be sure that you are healthy. It is recommended to eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, and take a good multivitamin. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1

I prefer to limit such multiple procedures to 4 hours (many will go to 6), and at your height and weight that should not be an issue. 

The major risk of prolonged procedures is blood clots to the legs which can migrate tot he lungs. You can self-assess your risk by googling "Caprini score".  With higher scores, there is a clear health benefit for the use of blood thinners (Lovenox). 

If you are in good overall health, this sounds like an acceptable to me. All the best. 

Safety and procedure of Mommy Makeover

+1

Mommy Makeovers are very safe and effective. We ensure safety through a proper physical exam, blood tests, a clearance from your primary doctor and a meetinfg with our board certified anesthesiologist. Safety should always be your forst priority. A mommy makeover is a combination od tummy tuck, in which the essence of the procedure is tightening your core, then secondarily redraping your skin to show off that tight core. The core tightening is essential because without it just skin removal is in effective. As we all know, skin stretches and will accomodate whatever the infrastructure (core) happens to be. Secondly a  breast procedure is done, usually implants to create a nutural, frash more youthful appearance. There is also some liposuction invloved arounf the flanks and hips to really shape the visible silhoutte. Given all this surgery and the general anesthesia we take extra preacaution to ensure your number one asset...yoiur health. As an adjunct I always give herbal supplements to help reduce the swelling and bruising. The treatment plans are as varied as the individuals.  Always seek a board certified plastic surgeon. After you meet him/her you will immediately know if they are the right surgeon to help you accomplish your goals.  Good luck on your procedure!!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Safety of Breast Lifting and Tummy Tuck Combination Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question. Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Factors such as selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider,  surgery facility are all important  considerations.

A few additional words of advice,   I provide to my patients prior to undergoing mommy makeover surgery, may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.