I am scheduled for a Breast Augmentation in 5 weeks & am still having difficulty selecting the best size implant for me. (photo)

I am 5'4, 120 lbs, breast width of about 12.5. My PS suggested a 350 mod+, 375 mod+, or 400 HP for me to consider and said she would bring all to the surgery for intraoperative sizing. After reading that the implant should be 3/4-1 cm less than your breast width, I'm worried all are too big/wide for me. The 350 mod+ is 12.5, the 375 mod+ is 12.8, and the 400 HP is 12.2. I do not want to have too much side boob or be unnatural looking. Can you tell me your thoughts on which is best (if any)?

MP better, in my opinion

+2
Thanks for your question and pic. I don't use the HP usually because it does look too round. You appear to have enough breast tissue that you shouldn't need that extra projection. The MP has a much more natural look. I think the 350 or 375MPP is your best bet looking at your pictures and reading your expectations. It is however important to assess the characteristics of the envelope with regard to its elasticity to factor this into the decision making. Best of Luck!

Implant volume and cup size

+1
If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug in 5 weeks and unsure of size

+1
Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. I think that your surgeon has a good plan in mind in bringing several implants to the OR and using a sizer during the surgery to determine the optimal size implant for you. It is important to communicate with your surgeon before surgery as to the look you are trying to achieve (cleavage, how much fullness in upper breasts, natural look, etc..)  I think either of those implants will give you a nice result but the 400 may be too tight.  Good luck with your surgery!

Mark Deutsch, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1
You seem to be a petite person from your measurements.  If you are worried about a "side-boob", you would want to consider the high profile which is more narrow to better fit your breasts.  Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with you wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan. Keep in mind upsizing your implants can cause more problems in the future.   All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1
Thank you for your question.Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you (in any responsible fashion) with specific enough advise to be truly helpful. Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon, earlier that already scheduled if necessary, for in person evaluation.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Implant Selection

+1
Thank you for your pictures. First I would start reading the Internet and trust your surgeons judgment. Implant diameter can be +/- 1 cm from your breast with. Your surgeon will choose to help you choose the right implant to meet your desired goals. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

How to choose breast implant size

+1
I agree that it sounds like you have an excellent plastic surgeon. The size range is that you have chosen are all very similar.  I rarely uses high profile breast implants because they tend to project but have a narrow base.

In my experience the moderate profile plus shape is more natural looking.  Your breast base width is certainly adequate to accept a 350 or 375 cc moderate profile plus implant.  Please revisit your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns in detail.  For more information on choosing breast implant size please read the following link:

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast enlargement

+1
It sounds like you have a very good doctor who will do the final sizing during surgery. Just be sure and tell her you don't want to go too big. Probably the moderate profile is going to look better on you. Go on the Internet and print off pictures of breast augmentation patients before and after that are similar to your size and with a result you like. Show these to your doctor and you will do fine. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

consider nipple to fold distance as well

+1
You should also consider the measurement of your nipple to inframmary fold distance. If the radius of the implant is shorter than your nipple to fold distance then there is a chance your nipple will appear too high on your breast.  This measurement is one additional factor I use to decide between a high or moderate plus implant.
also side projection of your implant will give you more of an hour glass shape which will improve your silhouette.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon