I am scheduled for a Breast Augmentation in 5 weeks & am still having difficulty selecting the best size implant for me. (photo)

I am 5'4, 120 lbs, breast width of about 12.5. My PS suggested a 350 mod+, 375 mod+, or 400 HP for me to consider and said she would bring all to the surgery for intraoperative sizing. After reading that the implant should be 3/4-1 cm less than your breast width, I'm worried all are too big/wide for me. The 350 mod+ is 12.5, the 375 mod+ is 12.8, and the 400 HP is 12.2. I do not want to have too much side boob or be unnatural looking. Can you tell me your thoughts on which is best (if any)?

MP better, in my opinion

Thanks for your question and pic. I don't use the HP usually because it does look too round. You appear to have enough breast tissue that you shouldn't need that extra projection. The MP has a much more natural look. I think the 350 or 375MPP is your best bet looking at your pictures and reading your expectations. It is however important to assess the characteristics of the envelope with regard to its elasticity to factor this into the decision making. Best of Luck!

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Best size to achieve your goals

Thanks for your question. Without examining you in-person, it is difficult to recommend an accurate implant size. . There are many variables in recommending implant size/type. I base my implant recommendation on patients' body (chest height, chest width, existing breast tissue) as well as their desired look. Review before and after photos and see what kind of look that you want. Share photos of your "wish" look with your plastic surgeon. Based on your body and your desired look, your plastic surgeon will help you to choose the "right" size for you.

The best implant size for you

Generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Implant volume and cup size

If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal.I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug in 5 weeks and unsure of size

Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. I think that your surgeon has a good plan in mind in bringing several implants to the OR and using a sizer during the surgery to determine the optimal size implant for you. It is important to communicate with your surgeon before surgery as to the look you are trying to achieve (cleavage, how much fullness in upper breasts, natural look, etc..)  I think either of those implants will give you a nice result but the 400 may be too tight.  Good luck with your surgery!

Breast Implant Size

You seem to be a petite person from your measurements.  If you are worried about a "side-boob", you would want to consider the high profile which is more narrow to better fit your breasts.  Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with you wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan. Keep in mind upsizing your implants can cause more problems in the future.   All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Thank you for your question.Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you (in any responsible fashion) with specific enough advise to be truly helpful. Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon, earlier that already scheduled if necessary, for in person evaluation.

Implant Selection

Thank you for your pictures. First I would start reading the Internet and trust your surgeons judgment. Implant diameter can be +/- 1 cm from your breast with. Your surgeon will choose to help you choose the right implant to meet your desired goals. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS