Should I get textured or smooth implants?

Hi, I am scheduled for BA on Jan 31, 2014. I am 28 y/o at 5'2 and 102lbs with a petite body type.
I am seeking a FULL C cup coming from a 32A. I have visited several surgeons offices. they are all seem to be on the same plan of care: High profile, saline (preffered by me) round implants, submuscular. My question is, should i get textured or smooth as my fear of rippling over time. i do a have some breast tissue at the base and good upper polar, will either smooth or texture really be an issue.

Textured have less complications

+1
At size 32 A each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. You would require approximately 200 cc implants to achieve a 32 C. I always recommend small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it and determines projection. Saline implants can be used but have a higher risk of leakage. I recommend a textured saline implant because it is more adherent, less likely to dislocate inferiorly requiring revision and has decreased capsular contracture rate.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Textured or not?

+1

Supposedly, the purpose of the texturing is to reduce the incidence of capsular contracture.  However, smooth saline implants under the muscle have such a low incidence on encapsulation anyway.  I like the feel of the smooth implants much better.  Textured implants have a much higher tendency to ripple in my opinion.  Smooth saline high profile implants are what I recommend.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Textured vs Smooth Implants

+1
Your surgeon is the best resource for this answer as he has the advantage of examining you.  In my experience textured saline implants have a higher deflation rate than textured silicone which my rep confirms is true.  That aside, high profile implants ripple less than lower profiles.  All saline implants can be overfilled slightly to reduce the rippling but the disadvantage is that it makes them rounder and more firm.  The bottom line is that there are trade-offs to any implant you choose.  Some may be better for your particular anatomy, but in the end there will be more than one choice each with its advantages and disadvantages.  Talk with your surgeon and consider your choices with this in mind and come to a conclusion in an educated  manner, not by what you read online or hear from your friends.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Saline breast implant rippling is less with smooth implants than textured

+1

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking rippling occurs with all types of saline implants.  Textured implants protect from capsular contraction by forming a specific capsule around the implant which is less likely to tighten.  However because of the structure and function textured implants tend to be a little more firm, and rippling can be more obvious than with saline implants.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Textured or smooth implants?

+1

There are a variety of types, sizes, and shapes of implants that can produce a good aesthetic (cosmetic) result in a patient with your particular anatomy. Most plastic surgeons would suggest a submuscular position in a slender patient to diminish the appearance of rippling. Rippling may occur with either smooth or textured saline implants, but is often more obvious with textured implants. High profile implants and especially those that are overfilled often look fake and feel firmer than most patients would like.

Following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what type and size of implants to use based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure and each type of implant would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rippling with saline implants

+1

Since you are small framed and small breasted and adamant about saline implants, the best way to minimize (not eliminate) the likelihood of rippling would be smooth implants. These should be overfilled within the manufacturer's guidelines, but no more (this can give a different kind of edge rippling, and a hard fake look).

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Rippling

+1
Textured saline implants ripple moe then smooth and have a higher rupture rate.  Given your body type I would stick with smooth. 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Should I get smooth or textured implants?

+1
Thanks so much for your question.  The standard answer in this country is that if the implant is placed under the muscle (85% of the time in this country) then go with a smooth implant.  If the implant is placed on top of the muscle (15% of the time) then go with a textured.  However, in other countries textured implants are placed under the muscle quite a bit more often than in this country.  At the end of the day you should have a discussion with your surgeon and let them also weigh in on their specific reasoning for placing the implants in the best location for your specific body type.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implant texture

+1
I prefer smooth round for most augmentations that I perform. I think that smooth implants move in the pocket more naturally.

Textured vs. Smooth Breast Implants

+1

Rippling after your breast augmentation can occur with either a textured or smooth breast implant. Placement of the breast implant under the muscle will help in reducing the the chance of seeing ripples due to the implants. "Overfilling" the saline breast implants to the manufacturers recommended maximum volume will help with ripple reduction as well. The idea of using textured vs. smooth implants is mainly in the reduction of capsular contracture. Thank you for sharing your question. Best of luck with your upcoming breast augmentation!

For additional information about breast augmentation and implants:

Gregory Park, MD