Do I Need to Schedule an Emergency Visit with Orthodontist?

I'm being treated currently with invisalign. I'm 22 years old. I am on my last trays with my top and bottom teeth, and my appointment is in ten days. I've been in a refinement for my top teeth but my bottom tray has been the same for the last seven months. I seem to have misplaced my bottom tray, and I could either book and appointment with the office or start wearing the second to last tray. Is ten days too long to be without a retainer? And would it not be a step backward to start an old tray?

Lost Invisalign tray

+3

I would call the orthodontist.  Replacement trays or retainers can be ordered from Invisalign without a new impression.  Don't go back to an old tray unless the orthodontist tells you to.

Fairfield Orthodontist

Aligner trays are not designed to last as long as retainers

+2

On the bright side, a new material will help (a fresh tray) as the 7 month old aligner has likely distorted or cracked.  I would suggest getting to see the orthodontist as soon as possible so that a new aligner or retainer can be made.  Going back to an old one would be the last resort...

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Lost retainer

+2

after 7 months your teeth should be relatively stable...nonetheless, 10 days plus the time necessary to make a new retainer means some risk of tooth movement....I would try to get in sooner if possible  or go back to the previous aligner

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Lost Invisalign tray

+1

Call the Dentist who is treating you.  They can better answer your question based on your progress and treatment.

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Cosmetic Dentist