Scars Where Stitching Has Loosened After Blepharoplasty is my Best Option Laser or Scar Revision??

The scars from the incision lines seem wide. I had the operation over 18 months ago. Is it possible to have the scar line removed and resutured. I'm aware scar revision can be done but how risky is it. Regarding laser resurfacing, where the sutures were the skin looks very thin to endure laser. Does any surgeon know of anyone whose stitches has loosened or widened and what is the best option? I have also had dry eye since blepharoplasty and want to minimize the risk of making that worse?

Blepharoplasty scar revision

+1

Hi John. It is not clear from your question exactly where your blepharoplasty scar is located. However, widenend surgical scars can often be improved with a surgical scar revision procedure, which is typically more effective than laser resurfacing for the type and general location of the scar that you describe. In most cases, that can be performed in the office setting. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.pearsonmd.com/eyelid-surgery.htm

Scar after eyelid surgery

+1

I'd have to see the sacr to be certain but a scar revision or a scalpel abrasion both could reduce the appearance of the scar.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Scar revision after blepharoplasty

+1

If there is enough laxity to the upper eyelid skin so that you can easily close your eyes, then a scar revision would be your best approach. The incision needs to be placed in the area of the upper eyelid fold, so that it is not noticeable. The upper eyelid skin, being the thinnest in the body, usually heals quite well. I also agree with Dr. Steinsapir that the risk is low if you go to a surgeon who knows what they are doing. I do not feel that laser resurfacing would be of any benefit. 

Web reference: http://www.delucaplasticsurgery.com/eyelid-surgery-albany-ny/

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Lasers and eyelid scars

+1

Resurfacing relies on sebaceous glands and hair follicles to regenerate the skin surface that has been vaporized by hot laser treatments.  Eyelid skin is too thin and void of the adnexal skin structures to allow safe laser resurfacing and this is not advised.  Cold laser and other topical treatments may be helpful in mitigating scar visibility over several months time.  Be very careful if scar resection is chosen as the balance of delicate eyelid tissues can be difficult to achieve if excessive tissue is removed.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing is not really an option here.

+1

The best option for what you are describing is a scar revision.  The risk is actually low if you go to someone who knows what they are doing.  As the person you see to discuss your likely course of healing.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Scars after blepharoplasty

+1

I assume you had upper blepharoplasty, and these are the scars that bother you. I think scar revision is generally the best option in this situation. Depending on the width of the scar, revision surgery can make dryness worse due to additional skin removal. 

Blepharoplasty scar revision

+1

You don't mention if you had upper or lower blepharoplasty.  The issues with unappealing scars are different depending on which operation you had.  The fact that you have dryness after surgery also impacts what can be done.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision

+1

Blepharoplasty scars are usually well hidden in the upper eyelid.  However, if they bother you, the scar in the upper eyelid can be revised.  There has to be enough skin remaining for proper closure and eyelid function/closure.

Dr Taban

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.