Can Old Scars That Are Still Red Be Treated?

Hi, I've had a facial scar from accidentally removing a scab prematurely. The scar is about 3.5 years old now and it is still a light reddish color. I've had fractional laser done on it, but it only seemed to improve the depth and not the color. What treatments are available to treat the redness, will something like IPL help? Thank you.

Pulsed dye laser for red scars - VBeam

+1

The gold standard for treatment of red scars is the pulsed dye laser.  I have used this successfully in many cases with great improvement. 

IPL can reduce redness of scars

+1

I have treated patients with red scars with the IPL Quantum and have seen a significant reduction in redness. Usually several sessions  are necessary. Treatment with a pulsed dye laser is an alternative your dermatologist may offer.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon