Scars 5 Mm Above Crease Line Visible After Bleph? (photo)

I’m 7 days past my upper bleph op and as you can see the incisions are app. 5 mm above the crease line. Hence the scars are fully visible with my eyes open. I thought the scars would be hidden in the natural crease line. What can be done?

Blepharoplasty incision higher than lid creae

+3

I agree that your incision appears to be in a slightly higher location than usual.  Happily, you are in a very early stage of healing, and your eyelid appearance can be expected to continue to improve over the course of weeks to months.  When the swelling decreases, your incision may relax into a slightly lower position which will be better camouflaged by the lid crease.  Also, blepharoplasty incisions heal remarkably well, and can appear almost invisible when fully healed.  Give yourself a little time to continue to heal and recover, and I expect you will be very happy with your final results.  In 6-9 months, If you are still dissatisfied with the appearance of your lids, discuss it with your plastic surgeon and he/she may be able offer a minor revisional procedure to relocate the scar.

Dr. Skourtis

The incision is in a too high, funky location.

+2

However, it is possible that the skin will heal very nicely.  If so the scar will not be noticeable.  Generally we are looking to have the scar fold under the upper eyelid fold.  Clearly that is not happening here.  I recommend keeping an open mind, giving yourself time to heal and not have further eyelid surgery with this surgeon.

Way too early to worry.

+2

Although the incision is slightly higher than your crease, the incision will continue to improve drastically over the next few weeks. At 3 months, you should have an accurate assessment of the final outcome. Please be patient.

You may want to see your surgeon in a couple weeks as sometimes, injection with steroid and/or 5 FU medication may improve/hasten scar resolution

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scars 5 Mm Above Crease Line Visible After Bleph?

+2

The photos demonstrate a well place incision that is in very early healing phase. Its location of 5 mm above the cillary margin is by most standard a little low, I use 8 mm as my low point so the incision falls in the tarsal fold. But over the next few months the incision should/will fad. If this issue of incision placement is of SURE a concern than discuss with your chosen surgeon. At the end of the day I'm sure you will be satisfied. 

High eyelid crease incision

+2

The incision does look a little higher than your natural crease line.  However, I certainly would not call this a SCAR at this point.  You are only 1 week out of surgery, and generally, whereever this incison is, heals very very well.  In most cases it will be invisible within several months of surgery.  I would watch this closely and if it does become thicker, darker, etc sometimes steroids can be injected if necessary to minimize it.  However, at this point it appears like it is healing quite well and hopefully will not be a problem for you.  Definitely avoid any direct sun to the incision as that can make it more prominent. 

Good Luck.

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon