With A Minot Otoplasty, Would it Result in Scars? (photo)

Hello, my ears stick out a lot. I want to get an otoplasty done for them. However, I would like the changes to be rather minor, so that my ears would still protrude, just less an look more aesthetically, and that most people wouldn't even notice that I have undergone this procedure. Would it be possible to correct my ears only a little as in the photos provided? If yes, would the scars be noticeable? My ears would still protrude, so I'm afraid the scars couldn't be hidden. Thank you.

Otoplasties Can Be Adjusted To The Desired Ear Protrusion Of The Patient

+1

There are many techniques for correcting a protruding ear.  The 3 techniques I often use are:

1.  The Stenstrom otobrasion, a way of scoring the anterior part of the ear to allow it to turn back and create a more natural fold;

2.  The Mustarde technique for using a suture to correct a protruding ear and increase the fold on the front of the ear;

3.  The Furnas technique to suture the main cartilage of the ear down to the covering of the bone below it. 

Any one or all three of these techniques can be used with local or general anesthesia.  It is mandatory that you choose a Board Certified plastic surgeon very experienced in otoplasties.  Then you must describe in detail to your plastic surgeon the degree of protrusion you wish to have at end at the procedure.  Remember, plastic surgery is an art and not an exact science.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Protruding ears

+1

Protruding ears are usually the result of one of two reasons - either the "bowl" of the ear is rotated outward too much or the inner fold of the ear is underdeveloped (or sometimes it is a combination of the two). To correct an outwardly rotated bowl, an incision needs to be made behind the ear to "pin" the ear back against the head.   To correct and underdeveloped fold, most people still use an incision behind the ear.  In my office, we have developed a technique for correcting this problem that we can do under local anesthesia in the office.  One of the benefits of this is that the patient can hold a mirror and see how much correction he/she might want as the procedure progresses.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD