Scars in Front of Ear Have Gotten Worse 4 Months After Face Lift

I had a face lift in Mexico by a certified doctor. I saw his work and had others who had successful face lifts done by him. He is experienced and I still have scars that are thick and MORE noticeable after 4 months in front of the ear (more on one side) and behind the ear. Since my scars have gotten worse in terms of thickness and redness, I'm worried. Is there a Bay Area in Ca. doctor recommended to treat this or should I wait for longer?

Bad Scars After Facelift Can Be Treated With Laser and Injections

+3

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Raised red scars after Facelift are best treated, in my opinion, with 1540 Non ablative fractional Erbium Laser. Redness in particular responds well to IPL-Intense Pulsed Light treatments.

Steroid injections can also help although care must be used to avoid tissue atrophy and skin vessel changes.

Keloids after facelift

+2

Keloids and hypertrophic scars can occur after a facelift.  These are typically treated by the original surgeon with a series of injections, laser, and potential future surgey.  You could visit Mexico on a bimonthly basis to see the surgeon and make a vacation out of it.  Otherwise, you should visit either Dr. Corey Maas or Dr. Sheldon Kabaker in the bay area and be prepared to pay the standard fees.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars

+2

If bad scars, ropey, red, raised, scars occur after a facelift it usually is in back of the ears. It is unusual to have bad scars in front. It is difficult to say what was done but I suspect a very minimal lift and closing the wounds under a lot of stress. I am sure they can be improved.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scars 4 Months after Facelift

+1

At this time it would be best to see a surgeon in your community to treat these scars as the wounds mature. Revision surgery may be necessary. There are many board certified facial plastic surgeons in the Bay Area.

Scars in front of ear have gotten worse 4 months after face lift

+1

Most likely the Mexican surgeon did not get a complete scar history from you before operating. Usually on the face the scarring is limited. But in your case you have hypertrophic scarring. Call around your area to boarded plastic surgeons. I'm sure one will see you. It will cost double to fix this  but a lesson learned.

From MIAMI DR. B

Don't be discouraged by these experts

+1

Generally they are right on.  People don't like to manage other peoples problems.  Having said that it happens. You will benefit from a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon, general plastic surgeon, or other cosmetic surgeon who can help you with management for these scars.  My advice is to contact your internist for a referral to the appropriate plastic surgeon. Generally the plastic surgeon is more likely to take you on if you are directly referred by another doctor, if only as a professional favor to a colleague.

Facelift Scars

+1

Unfortunately, it is hard to find a doctor who is willing to take on someone else's problem.  So, it would be best for you to see the original doctor.  That surgeon may have a recommendation for someone you can see in CA instead.   Facelift scars generally heal very well.  One exception is when non-plastic surgeons or untrained doctors perform the surgery and only take a strip of skin and pull the face tight.  This leaves incredible tension on the incisions many times leads to very thick scars around the ears.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Bad scars after facelift.

+1

This is the problem with people going to other countries to have surgery. Normally, your surgeon would take care of his problems. You can try Dr. Corey Mass in S.F.

Bad scars in front of the ears

+1

Unfortunately, since a SF doctor didn't do your surgery, it will be hard to find one willing to take on the scars you got from Mexico.  Think about it from their standpoint and maybe you can understand.  

Massage, steroid injections, IPL lasers and time are your best ways to treat the scars.  If you can't find a plastic surgeon to do this, a dermatologist might be willing to help.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS