How Long for Scars to Heal From Breast Implant Removal?

Hello, i had my submuscular breast implants removed one month ago. How long will it take for the scars to feel smoother? My scars are under the breasts and right now they feel rather lumpy and I was wondering if massaging with Vitamin e oil might help smooth them out.

Scar issues

+1

Scars are usually their firmest and reddest at the 6-12 weeks mark and then settle down with time. For specific instructions you should ask your surgeon. 

Scar Maturation

+1

All scars go through a maturation process that can usually takes one to two years depending on how thick the skin is.  I always tell my patients their scars will look worse before they look better.  You may be feeling the sutures beneath the skin.  Most likely your surgeon used absorbable sutures that may take several months to dissolve completely.  Around three months breasts scars will get a little raised and look red.  At around nine months they usually start to fade and flatten.  There are many scar treatments the best of which is silicone sheeting which speed up the process a little, but time will usually take care of it if you are patient.  Massaging also helps.  Don't worry.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Breast Implant Removal and Scars?

+1

You will find that the scars will “feel smoother” 6 months from now  and will continue to improve on a yearly basis. The plastic surgeon will likely have a preferred incision line management routine;  always best to check with him/her. Personally, we recommend the use of silicone gel/ sheeting.