Hyperpigmentation Improved After TCA Peel, But Acne Scars Are Worse?

I regularly use 40- 50% glycolic acid peels 1-2x month to help with old hyperpigmentation and shallow acne scars. I wasn't getting quite the results I wanted, so I used a 12.5% TCA peel. Hyperpigmentation has been much improved, but I feel like my shallow acne scars are more noticeable now- is this always the case? Is there anything else I can to even out the skin surface? SHould I do another TCA peel?

Acne Scars after Home Chemical Peel

+1

In my opinion the best option is to see an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss the best options for treatment. That doctor can evaluate your skin type, the problems being addressed and discussed the best options for your situation. If the pigmentation problem has resolved, it's possible that a soft-tissue filler like Juvederm or Restlylane would work well. Any chemical peel (including glycolic acid) can cause scarring. In my opinion home chemical peels have too much risk for too little benefit. If you want to get the greatest benefit with the least risk with a chemical peel, see either an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon, one that has a great deal of experience specifically in chemical peels and treatment of acne scarring. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.dermatology-center.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.