Scarring/Implant Not Dropping?

I had a mastopexy,aug Dec 2011. The PS left a suture under my left breast causing major scarring, that breast implant isn't dropping. The scarring is so horrific I don't think revision will help much.. I was told by the office staff that the PS had this issue with several other patients after me and told them to check the exp date of sutures. He now only uses staples. In this situation would the implant drop on it's own? Will a mammogram show the scar tissue?

Scarring/Implant Not Dropping?

+2

I am not able to make sense of what you are describing. Was this a visible suture that was supposed to be removed but was not? Was this a buried suture that was supposed to dissolve but instead spit out? Did this area have a problem with skin loss that required weeks or longer to heal in and close together?  I am not aware of anyone closing incisions after a breast lift with staples, but I suppose there are some that do.  Your implant being too high sounds like a capsular contracture or scar tissue around the implant squeezing the implant. If it hasn't dropped in these many months, it will not.  You need to have a consultation and examination with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery...there are possible "fixes" for these problems.

Revision after Breast Augmentation and Lift

+1

A revision after a previous breast augmentation and lift can usually result in some improvement.  However, pictures or an exam would be necessary to determine what exactly can be done.

Scarring/Implant Not Dropping

+1

Hard to answer these issues without a photo!

If the implants are too high nine months after surgery, it is not likely that they will "drop" at this point, and that a revision surgery will be needed to get the position right. 

As far as the scars go, if they really are that bad, they are more likely, not less, to improve with scar revision. A mammogram would not be helpful in showing scar tissue. It would have no impact on what might be done to improve the situation. 

See your surgeon, discuss the points of disatisfaction.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Mastopexy and Breast Augmentation- Dropping, Settling, Scarring

+1

I believe you have two problems occurring.

• Scarring after breast lift or breast augmentation. This can happen after surgery and fortunately can be really improved. Staples are never the answer. Revisions are relatively easy and often make a big improvement. Scarring is a breast lift risk but don't dispare. Revision should really help.
  • Implant malposition. Sometimes after breast augmentation the implants don't settle or drop properly. This can happen and is more common with implants under the muscle. If time has passed and they haven't dropped, than lowering the implant will be necessary. It's not that hard to do. Pain is low because the muscle work has been done already. This problem is another breast augmentation risk.

Please see a doctor for another opinion. This is often easy to do. Many are complimentary and it will help you feel more comfortable about your next step.

Christopher Saunders, MD
West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Scarring/#Implant Not Dropping? ANS:

+1

There are really two different things going on it sounds like. One is the scarring you seem to be having and that usually can be redone in the office under local anesthesia and at little to no cost to you..The second issue is the implant not dropping and that usually requires another trip to the OR to fix..And if you are going back to the OR, then that is a great time to get the scars done as well!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Scarring and implant

+1

If you have unfavorabble skin scarring, then  you may benefit from a scar revision. As for the implant not dropping, an exam inperson would be helpful for proper evaluation and you  may need some sort of capsular release procedure.

Breast lift and scarring

+1

Breast implants that are high compared to breast tissue after a mastopexy may improve early on, but after 10 months it is unlikely that the implants will drop. Mammograms will not help since you already know you have scarring. You should obtain a 2nd opinion if your surgeon can not help you.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Without pictures or an exam it’s hard to say what it can be and hard to say if the implants will drop since it has been 1 year. You need to get a second opinion from a certified PS.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS