How Much Scarring Should Should I Expect After Having my Moles Removed?

Hi. I am 22 years old, and all my life I have been told I am an attractive person, except for the moles all over my chest. I have had several removed from other parts of my body with minimal scarring, but I'm nervous about having them removed from my chest/neck area. I have at least 6 that I would like removed that are all about the size of a pencil eraser or slightly bigger. Dermatologists have told me this is a delicate area, but I want them gone! What do you suggest?

Mole removal

Depending on whether the moles are raised or not can determine the method of treatment.  Either way, with any surgical procedure you will be getting a scar.  The chest is prone to scarring.

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Mole removal

Any time the skin is cut, it will heal with a scar. The chest is also a very difficult area that is prone to scarring. A shave removal will likely heal in a better scar than an excision with stitches. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

21097 NE 27th Court
Aventura, FL 33180

Any removal technique, outside of laser treatment, must lead to some type of scar.

Any removal technique, outside of laser treatment, must lead to some type of scar. If your moles are perfectly flat, your dermatologist is convinced you do not have melanoma, and you have no familial tendency toward melanoma, some of these  spots can be lightened with a q-switched laser.

David Goldberg, MD

115 East 57th Street
New York, NY 10022

Mole removal on the chest

When I remove benign nevi (moles) on the chest, I will almost always use a "shave excision" method to decrease the risk of significant scarring. The mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and leaves a minimal scar. As we all heal differently, and different areas of the body heal differently, you should try having one or two moles removed and see how they heal.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

325 Dorset Street
South Burlington, VT 05403

Scarring after mole removal

There are a few factors that determine how good or bad a scar will look after it heals.  The size of the move being removed, the area that it is being removed from (areas with more motion tend not to heal as well), post operative care, how well the patient tends to heal and the expertise of the surgeon doing the procedure.  Although it is not fail proof, I would suggest that if the moles really bother you, take one off and give it 6 months to heal and see how it looks.  If you don't heal well, it is better to have one scar rather then six.  Also, remember, nobody ever asks you how you how you got your moles or even comment on them.  But people always seem to ask about scars.  Since this is being done purely for cosmetic reasons, it would be sad if you were less pleased with the scar then you were with the mole.

Jay S. Gottlieb, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

1951 SW 172nd Ave
Miramar, FL 33029