What Type of Scarring Should be Expected After Mommy Makeover?

Hello- I'm considering a mommy makeover and wanted to find out what type of scarring is to be expected. I noticed in some of the photos women had a lot of scarring and others it looked like hardly anything. I'm fair-skinned, not sure if that matters or not. Just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

Scarring is a Reality of Surgery

+2

Unfortunately, scarring is a reality for any surgery. The good news is that the extent of scarring can be controlled by a surgeon with good technique. I am able to minimize the scarring of my Mommy Makeover patients through a variety of ways.
For the breast list component the patient will either have one incision around the circumference of her areola that will eventually fade into the natural color of her nipple. If this approach is not suitable for the patient than I will employ my lollipop incision (developed originally by me and now used by many surgeons across North America) where the patient will have one incision around the areola and one incision from the areola to the inframammory fold (where the breast meets the trunk). Both techniques provide the patient with a lift of the breast while limiting the amount of scarring that will remain after surgery. 
Tummy tucks require two incisions: one around the belly button and one across the abdomen from hip to hip. To minimize the appearance of these scars I try to position the scars out of sight: within the depression of the belly button and below the pubic bone.
The positioning of the incisions, post-operative care and the ability of your surgeon all add up to how visible scarring will be after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.theplasticsurgeryclinic.com/procedures/body/tummytuck.html

"Mommy Makeover"

+1

Not knowing exactly what your idea of a "mommy makeover" is, makes this question hard to answer.  Let's suppose that after pregnancy, a female wishes to have some body and breast rejuvenation.  A breast surgery such as breast augmentation, would involve only a short incision at the edge of the areola (nipple) or in the crease beneath the breast.  However, if the patient, after 1 or more pregnancies needs a breast lift, she would have an additional incision on the breast.  There would be one around the areola and/or underneath the breast, depending upon the amount of droop or sag of the breast.

In relation to any type of abdominal rejuvenation after pregnancy, most abdominoplasties would involve an incision at the lower underwear or bikini line.  A complete abdominoplasty would also include a small incision around the umbilicus or belly button.  Any type of liposuction would essentially leave almost no mark, other than a short 3mm mark on the skin where the liposuction cannulas are placed.

Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Scarring from Mommy Makeover

+1

Mommy makeover refers to surgery to help restore a woman's body after she has finished with her preganancies. It addresses the changes in both the breasts and abdomen. But not every woman gets the same procedures, and therefore the scars can all be different. Get some consultations for more info.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/html/breast-augmentation-procedure.html

Mommy Makeover Scars

+1

The fact that you have "light skin" and it you also have light colored eyes then this usually means you will have fine scars that will fade significantly. If you already have some scars to a degree this will predict how noticeable they will be afterwards.

The location of the scars depends on what surgeries are being done for your Mommy Makeover. A mommy makeover generally refers to a tummy contouring  procedure such as a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty, mini tummy tuck,and/or liposuction and breast contouring (breast augmentation, breast lift (mastopexy), or both.

For example, if you require a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation - I like to put in the implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are NO SCARS ON THE BREASTS.

Or, lets say you just needed a mini-tummy following a C-section - Often this can be done just through the C-Section scar you already have or by making it a little longer. On the other hand a full abdominoplasty and breast lift with augmentation would could require a scar from hip to hip,around the belly button and a lollipop incision on the breasts. They are placed in such a way to be hidden by a bathing suit in most cases.

Your scarring depends on what procedures are involved with your mommy makeover

+1

Your scarring depends on what procedures are involved with your mommy makeover.  When plastic surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover," we are generally referring to tummy contouring (tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck) and breast contouring (breast lift, augmentation, or a combo lift and augmentation or even a reduction for some patients). These procedures are very powerful in restoring the shape and volume of your breasts and restoring the contouring of your abdominal area. I perform about 1-2 mommy makeover procedures each week. Many moms have told me after their surgery that their breasts and tummy look even better than before they had kids.  Hope this helps!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Scarring depends on the procedures choosen.

+1

Different patients require or desire different procedures to reshape their bodies after child birth.  To start with the procedures which have no scarring, these would be Botox or fillers, which smooth the skin creased by muscles or add volume back to the face.  For the breasts, the choice of procedures are usually between 1) an augmentation ( the scar is usually 4-6 cm in length, whether placed below the breast, around the areolar or in the axilla), 2) a breast lift, by an anchor incision or a short scar, 3)  a breast reduction where the scars are  the same as a breast lift.  All incisions are hidden in a bra or swim top.  The tummy tuck creates a incision line across the lower abdomen and the length of this incision depends on the individuals needs for skin tightening.  This incision is very well camouflaged by a swim suit bottom. 

Scarring with Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

“Mommy makeover” is a very general term;  exactly what procedure will benefit a specific patient will vary greatly. Depending on exactly what procedure is indicated,  scarring will vary. For example, the breast augmentation procedure will be associated with less scarring than breast lifting surgery.

For a specific answer to your question it will be best for you to visit with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  After physical examination and a full communication of your goals your plastic surgeon will be able to discuss exactly where incisions will be placed etc. Ask to see lots of examples of patients who have had similar work performed.

Generally speaking, the trade-off with many procedures performed is an improvement in  contour/shape in exchange for scarring.  You will have to decide whether the trade-off is something you will accept.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Mommy makeover procedures and scars

+1

Helping women get their confidence back after childbirth is a great part of my job as a plastic surgeon. Some procedures have no scars such as Botox or fillers. A beast augmentation may have no breast scars if a trans-axillary approach (my favorite) is used. If a breast lift is needed you will have some scars but the improvement in breast shape is the goal and the scars generally are hidden by a bra or bikini. A tummy tuck will create a low scar similar to a C section scar but about 2 or 3 times as long depending on how much skin removal is needed. The scars usually fade nicely over a few years and are well worth the improvement in body contour! Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for your consultation.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon