Scarring After Breast Lift. What is Normal?

Hello. I had a BA/BL 4 weeks ago. I had a lolipop incision (not a full vertical to the crease) I have very fair skin. My steri strips just fell off today. There appears to be little to no scarring. Do scars tend to get raised and red over time or could this possibly be the result? It looks amazing and just want to be prepared if it will change. My csection scars healed well but were definately more red and raised one month post op. thank you for any comments.

Scarring after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

Congratulations on having had a successful breast augmentation/lifting operation. You may find that the scars “worsen” in appearance during the next 4 to 6 weeks. In my experience, scars tend to look their worse 2 months after surgery (generally speaking);  after that time period scars tend to improve in appearance.

I would suggest close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Use products such as silicone gel or sheeting if he/she recommends them.

I would expect that your scars will be more pink to red then slowly fade over the first year. #BestScarManagementIsImportant to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips in the following link:

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast surgery scars

I see many patients with breast surgery scars from other surgeons. I use a combination modality that includes ablative, non ablative, RF, IIT, and topical therapy to improve scarring after breast surgery. If you are having scar problems, a course of treatment may help. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scarring after breast lift - what is normal?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location. 

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Scarring After Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift

Congratulations, your scars sound like they're healing beautifully! Redness and a raised texture for scars is normal during the three to six months following your surgery, but both traits begin to subside during the healing process. To prevent worsening of their appearance, make sure you continue to care for them as your surgeon advises and keep them out of direct sunlight. UV exposure can make them more visible.

Minimal scars 4 weeks after breast augmentation with lift is a very good sign

Thank you for your question. Typically at 4-6 weeks after breast augmentation and breast lifts scars are pink and can even in some cases be red. The fact that your scars are healing so well is a very good sign and implies that you may continue to have excellent scars.

As you resume normal activity you may see some pinkness or redness develop but your plastic surgeon can advise on appropriate scar management.For scars that do become red raised and itchy, we have found the 1540 fractional erbium non-ablative laser very helpful to reduce these scars to a normal appearance.

Scars Healing Process After Breast Augmentation

Dear Nancial,

Every patient is different with a specific skin type and ability to recover. Also, the post-surgical ambulation will play a major role in your recovery.

Nonetheless, it is often common that scars will become red and a bit puffy at about 2-3 months post-surgery to subside again with time.

It is important that you keep your scars covered when you are exposed to sunlight so they will not darken and become bold permanently.

I recommend that you keep on applying the scar guarding cream your surgeon prescribed.

Thank you for your question and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Scars after lift/aug

Hi, yes the scars will change over the next few months. they will go from barely noticeable to pink or red and slightly raised over the first 10-12 weeks before they start fading slowly over the course of several months. this is kind of the usual course but everyone is different and depending on skin type, patients can heal at different paces. the use of recommended scar creams with silicone and other ingredients can also be helpful during the first few months.

Scar Maturation

Scars are at their WORST at 2-3 months. They then mature and improve over the next 6-12 months. If at 2 months, your scars are good, then you will have a great result!

Perhaps I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, but scarring - good or bad - is mainly due to the patient's own healing response rather than surgical skill in closing the wound.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Breast scars

At 4 weeks, the scars being flat is a good thing.  But, they may become red and raised over the next several weeks but usually settle down.