Scarguard over Micropore Tape?

My doctor started using tape therapy (micropore) on my tummy tuck incision today, which only needs to be changed once a week. When I asked her if I can use scarguard, (coz i have it at home) she said I don't have to, but if I really want then i can apply it over the tape. Will that make a difference or just leave the tape alone? Thanks!:)

Scarguard over tape

+5

Thanks for the question.  I doubt that the scarguard will make much difference as it is unlikely to penetrate the tape (although there are small holes in the tape).  Micropore tape works great on incisions and should help improve your scar.

Combination Gel and Tape Therapy for Tummy Tuck Scar

+3

I would have to assume that she meant applying the Scarguard UNDER the tape not on top of it. The material is not going to penetrate the tape. This combination of gel on the scar and tape on top of it may or may not be more beneficial than one of them alone but it would not hurt.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

ScarGuard with tape?

+3

We have found ScarGuard to be an effective adjuct for scar management, but it needs to be applied directly to the skin so putting it on top of micropore tape with probably not help.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Scarguard over Micropore Tape

+2

It is hard to imagine that any of the ingredients in the Scarguard would penetrate through the micropore tape. Save it for where it can help.

ScarGard vs. Micropore Tape

+1

I typically suggest ScarGard or some other silicone scar prevention product for my post-op patients.  If you already have ScarGard, I would suggest using it, since I think that it is a better product than micropore tape, although the cost is certainly more (=or>$20.00).

John Whitt, MD