Surgeon Says Scar Tissue With Saline Breast Augmentation. Said They Would Drop But it's Been 3 Years?

I had breast implants almost 3 years ago. My left implant is much harder & perkier than the right one, which moves freely & looks much natural. I consulted my surgeon twice- 2 years ago, & another time was a year ago- he claims that I am having scar tissues on my left side. He also said the implant will drop eventually to the level of my right implant. It's been 3 years, I can't tell the difference. The left implant looks like it was placed higher to the right one. So what is actually my case?

Higher, Harder Breast After 3 Years = Capsular Contracture

+1

If you know that one breast is harder than the other, this is the definition of a Baker 3 capsular contracture.  Your body has formed a scar around this breast more firmly than around the other breast.  All capsular contractures contract upward, and therefore a higher, harder breasts after 3 years is a capsular contracture and it won't move down.  Without seeing your pre-op pictures, there is no knowing whether this was a higher breast to start out with.  Getting rid of the capsular contracture may not move the breast downward because the fold under the breast may naturally be higher on that side than the lower, softer side. 

Capsular contractures are a known complication that unfortunately occur to all plastic surgeons at one time or another.  Accolate or Zafirlukast is a pill that may soften your breast in conjunction with therapeutic ultrasound, but after this long a time, it probably won't move it down.  The appropriate next step is to see your plastic surgeon and share the multiple consultations you already received through Real Self. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants at three years

+1

At three years if they have not fully dropped, then they will not at this points. If there is slight asymmetry, that may be normal where your breast folds are.

Hello

+1

It sounds like you encapsulated more on one side than the other. Our body heals different on each side. It’s hard to determine why our body does that. One way to correct encapsulation is having it removed and replace with a capsule release. Nothing can really give you an accurate respond without examining you.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Asymmetry Of Breasts 3 Years After Surgery

+1

Dear Kay,

Without before and after photographs and physical examination, it is hard to be definitive about a certain diagnosis.

Nonetheless, capsular contraction could be the most probable cause in your case. Time will not fix the asymmetry of your breasts.

So, I encourage you to seek consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience in breast implant revisions to help you make a decision on how to go about the issue.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture

+1

It sounds like you have developed capsular contracture on the left side.

Capsular contracture can occur withs silicone or saline implantsThere are many predisposing factors ,and many treatment options

Consult with a board certified surgeon and then post the suggestions as well as a photograph for our comments

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry 3 years after breast augmentation.

+1

Difficult to answer without before and after photos, but this sounds like a capsular contracture on the left side. This would explain both the difference in firmness and position. There are both operative and non-operative remedies for capsular contracture, though none work 100% of the time. 

Make an appointment with your surgeon, or a different one you prefer, to begin working to solve this issue.