Im So Scared of Doing Rhinoplasty Because After Using an Implant There's Alot of Precautions to Take?

However i just want to check if it is better to use medpor implants or use my ear cartilage. i am asian (indian) and my doc says i need a 1.5mm increase in dorsal height. please help!! also my tip is a bit bulbous so my nose looks fat from the side so can this fat be trimmed off slightly?

Rhinoplasty and increasing dorsal height

+1

We do not recommend Medpor implants to the nose because of previous infections that we have seen from other practices.  We use a combination of the patient’s own cartilage or a silastic implant depending upon the amount of augmentation required.  A 1.5 mm increase in dorsal height can be accomplished with the patient’s own nasal or ear cartilage.  A bulbous tip is reduced by a combination of cartilage removal and suturing techniques to affect the tip change.

Classic Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

For the past 35 years I've always preferred to use the patient's own cartilage because ther is always the risk of implant movement, extrusion and infection. The bulbous tip is improved by changing the contour of the tip cartilage and frequently adding cartilage to provide the desired tip definition.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

I prefer to you a patient's own ear cartilage to build up the height of the nose only because I have seen many complications from implants.  The tip can also be refined not by trimming fat but by address the underlying anatomical cartilage.  These are very common requests from my ethnic/Asian patients.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD