Scared of Anesthesia for Mommy Makeover

I'm a mother of 4 (11, 9, 3, and 4 months) and am in need of a mommy makeover. I am 30yr old/ 5'5 160lbs. I am looking into getting a breast lift and aug, arm lift, tummy tuck and lipo and upper inner thigh lift. Should I have a this done at once or break it up into two surgeries? I am scared to be put to sleep and that I will die. Should I be worried? And what do you suggest for the timing of the procedures? Thanks so much!

Scared of Anesthesia for Mommy Makeover

The risk of anesthesia in an otherwise healthy 30 year old female is very low but not zero. You can keep this risk at a minimum by not trying to accomplish to much on one day. I would not schedule a patient for outpatient cosmetic procedures lasting more than four hours, and so I suggest that you plan to do these procedures on two different days.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Scared about mommy makeover

The typical mommy makeover involves breast rejuvenation and tummy tuck, with some liposuction over the hip and thigh if needed. Adding an arm lift and inner thigh lift, or 'more' liposuction creates a worry. Not about the anesthesia, but the risk of complications such as DVT and serious infection. Staging your procedures only makes sense. Even your surgeon will have a hard time focusing for the best result with each procedure. I worry about your children too.

peterejohnsonmd

Mommy makeover

According to your BMI you are over weight. Loose about 15 LB. This will decrease your risks.

What decreases your risks also is a full clearance by your internist, includes complete history and exam, and full blood work. Choosing the appropriate surgeon, and anesthesiologist (Both should be Board Certified )

Plan to decrease your risks for blood clots.

Your best results will come from tummy tuck and lipo of the hips, flanks and medial thigh. Medial thigh may or may not need a medial thigh lift.

Second surgery is the breast.

As for the arms think first doing liposuction , you may not need the arm lift with its long unpredictable scar. If you can avoid it it would be great.

Choose your Plastic surgeon very carefuly. Patient safety must be on your mind and the surgeon's and the anesthesiologist.

If you really need a medial thigh lift , it can be done with the abdominoplasty, at your age you may not need it.

The facility where the surgery is done must be accrideted. Ask what are the safety measures to decrease your risks. Anesthesia risks are very low if you are completely healthy, However all procedures carry a certain amount of risk.

Anesthesia for mommy makeover.

I understand your concern.   As long as you let your surgeon's office know about your ENTIRE health history and habits and you have a clean health history, you have nothing to worry about.  #1 reason not to worry is that if you are going to a board certified anesthesiologist, they will let you know the maxumum time you can go under general anesthesia.  You will be carefully monitored. 

Minimize time in OR--- Minimize Risk

The risk of anesthesia when patients undergo cosmetic surgery is relatively low. Despite this, it’s not unusual for patients to have significant anxiety about going to sleep.
In your case, the combination of tummy tuck, breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, thigh lift and arm lift may be overly aggressive.When these procedures are performed in combination, safety has to be the first priority.
For this reason, we believe that the length of the procedure should never exceed 4 to 6 hours.Complications from surgery increase significantly when these numbers are exceeded.An experienced surgeon and surgical team that focus on efficiency can minimize the length of the surgical procedure.Even when these steps are taken, it may not be appropriate to perform this many procedures at the same time.Under these circumstances, it’s probably appropriate to stage these procedures.
If you’re considering this type of surgical combination, it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Mommy Makeover Safety?

Your concerns are natural  and commonly experienced prior to surgery.
Assuming you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon and board-certified anesthesiologists in a fully accredited  surgery center/hospital ( and have had medical clearance prior to surgery)  you will be extremely likely to have a safe procedure.
If I were you I would break up the planned procedures into 2 stages.

Scared of anesthesia

It's normal and common to be a little fearful of anesthesia.  But modern anesthesia, with a well-trained board-certified MD anesthesiologist or CRNA in attendance is very safe, when done in an accredited surgical facility.  Most people have a very smooth wake-up from anesthesia, with a very low risk of issues or problems, provided their state of health is good.

You have an extensive list of procedures that you would like to have.  Try to prioritize these, as it won't be possible to do them safely and well in just one procedure.  I like to keep the length of anesthesia under 6-6.5 hours, for my patients.

Anesthesia is safe for cosmetic procedures

As long as you're having your procedure done by qualified individuals, eg board certified anesthesiologists and plastic surgeons, you should be in good hands. 

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

There are pumpers and splitters in the world.  Some surgeons would combine everything and some would do as separate procedures.  There is risk involved as the time under anesthesia increases.  We are concerned about DVT.  Just be careful and remember this is all elective surgery.  There is always tomorrow.

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia fears

WOW! That is a lot of surgery to be done at once. If you were my patient, I would determine during your consultation visit which procedures could be safely combined in a staged manner.
Experience matters. With the number of procedures you are contemplating, seek a board certified plastic surgeon who uses a board certified anesthesiologist. This should help minimize your anesthesia concerns. Don’t forget to review his before and after photos as well. Good luck!