Worried About Lumpy Tummy and Excess Skin After Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

I am having a mini tummy tuck with lower ab tightening and lipo of the rest of my abdomen, I am super worried I will end up lumpy of with loose skin above the belly button, I have had two previous pregnancy's and have to majority of loose skin bellow my belly button and a tiny, I mean tiny bit above? are my worries justified?

Mini tummy tuck and upper abdomen

+2

Your photo indicates that you may be a reasonable candidate for a mini tummy tuck. As you do not seem to have a lot of fat or excess skin, I would not worry too much about excess folds of skin. There will be some looseness after the liposuction, but if you are young-ish (your photo indicates you might be) there should be some shrinkage of the excess skin.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck for bulge extending above the belly button

+2

I think liposuction and a mini tummy tuck are not the best choice for you.

Your side view shows a significant bulge in the fascia that extends above the belly button.

Tightening the fascia just below the belly button, as a mini tuck does, will do nothing to tighten the loose fascia above the belly button, and a "mini tuck look" can result, a tight lower abdomen with a bulging upper abdomen.

This area can be tightened as well, with special instrumentation, and your result will likely be better.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Mini tummy tuck

+2

You are correct to consider that a mini tummy tuck will not completely address your entire abdomen.  Hopefully you have discussed all these concerns with your board certified Plastic Surgeon.  He would have explained to you that a mini tummy tuck removes some loose skin below the belly button but will not do much tightening of the upper abdominal area.  Liposuction will help to remove excess fat but not to tighten and smooth the skin.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Don’t get a mini TT and liposuction if you want tight skin and no risk to lumps and bumps.  Less fat always increases those risks.  You will be better off with the full TT.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you would be better off with a full tummy tuck procedure.

In general, in my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Justified concerns.....

+1

Seeing that mini tummy tuck surgery commonly under performs, your concerns are justified. Just make sure you resolve your concerns with your surgeon before you have the operation.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Good candidates for a mini are few and far between and even a great candidate, years later, may find herself with some laxity and fat accumulation in the area above the umilicus after a mini.    I think a full abdominoplasty is the better of the two procedures for a long lasting result in the vast majority of patient s(including you).

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Mini-TT vs full TT

+1

Based on your photos, I would recommend a traditional or full tummy tuck which would address the weakness of your abdominal wall.  A mini-TT will not give you the best abdominal contour in my opinion.

A second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon may help you with your decision.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

FULL tummy tuck and lipo is better

+1

Even though from the pictures you provided it shows a lower abdominal bulge, I would perform a full tummy tuck. You are right to be concerned on upper abdominal skin asymmetry with the lower abdomen. The abdomen, although divided into upper and lower parts by the umbilicus, it is essentially one unit and should both part addressed at the time of surgery for a better results. Good luck

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Dear Asley26FolsomCA,

A mini tummytuck is best suited for women with a small amount of loose belly skin and lower abdominal bulging. A mini tummytuck with be disappointing if you have any significant amount of loose skin and/or upper abdominal bulging.

From your photos, it appears that you *may* be a candidate for a mini tummytuck with liposuction. However, it is impossible to give you an evaluation without an in-person examination. I would discuss your specific concerns and goals with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD