I am very scared about how im healing after Gynecomastia

I am 5 weeks post op and am very scared. I had my Gynecomastia surgery on August 8th 2011 and am very scared my wounds arent healing correctly. I am not going to lie the first week of post op I did not take it very easy. I had sexual intercourse and drove my car which wasnt very smart. I am so scare because I feel that my PS did not wait long enough to take my stitches out. at 5 weeks I still have open wounds, scabs on the outer parts of the nipples, my nipples are still so swollen and numb and fluid leaks. Last week (4 weeks post op) on the weekend my left nipple and the incision undr it started leaking a urine colored seroma fluid. It leaked all day and unfortunetly it was the weekend so I couldnt see my doctor so in the shower i put some pressure on the outer part of my chest. a fatty blister type thing rose from the open wound under my left nipple and popped discharging a lot of liquid from it. (the black hole on the pic under the nipple is where the blister/bubble arose from) My PS looked at my wounds this week and said nothing is wrong and its just healing but based on my pics and the pics I see on this website from post op, my pics look a lot worse. Is this normal for 5 weeks post op to look like this? and is it normal to have these many open wounds and leakage? The pics arent great the look worse in person than in the pics. When a little bit of pressure is put on the surrounding area of the nipple a tumor like blister that feels like a fat ball arised from the hole under the nipple and if more pressure is put the blister like thing shoots urine colored liquid. what is this tumor like blister that keeps arising to the surface? Thank you

Blister

+1

From the photo it does appear that you are having a complication following your procedure and should carefully follow your surgeon's instructions for wound care

Brea Plastic Surgeon

Draining seroma after gynecomastia surgery

+1

Your drainage is not too unusual and not totally unexpected.   I do not see any reason why the area would not heal fine

Seroma after gynecomastia surgery

+1

You probably have a seroma.  Ask your plastic surgeon why he hasn't drained it in a minor procedure in the office or inserted a drain to evacuate the area.  Also, I agree with another poster that your left breast does not appear to have been reduced.  It demonstrates significant gynecomastia.  The operation is performed bilaterally so perhaps you could explain why only one breast underwent surgery.

Seroma

+1

It sounds like you have a seroma and it is draining from the small hole that you explain.  The fluid is at least coming out and not collecting inside.  When you press on the nipple area it is most likely normal tissue and not a tumor.  Poor healing with scabs ect., is normal for the type of surgery that you have had.  The seroma needs to be addressed.  Your plastic surgeon will monitor this, it often closes on its own but sometimes not.  I would explain you concerns to your ps and ask for a plan.

Web reference: http://www.gynecomastiaspecialist.com

Healing after gynecomastia surgery

+1

It sounds like you have a seroma, though I'm not sure why it is taking so long for it to stop, especially with the open wound. Also, it looks like you didn't have any surgery on your left breast. If you didn't, than that's a little out of the ordinary. Most surgeons would operate on both at the same time. If this is true than I would be concerned about your surgeon not having enough experience. If I am wrong you still need to return to your surgeon to find out why the seroma continues. Good luck.

Is my healing normal following gynaecomastia correction?

+1

Looking at the pattern of your scarring, you have had a significant gynaecomastia correction.  It is not unusual to have delayed wound healing at the T-junction of these sort of scars, so I would not be overly concerned.

Keep the wounds clean and take it easy.  Maintain close contact with you plastic surgeon and you should be fine.  Your wounds should heal in the next few weeks but it will take a year or so for the redness of your scars to fully fade.  Good luck.  Jonathan Staiano.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Male breast reduction

+1

You had a complex surgical procedure to reduce the male breast requiring a -T- type of incision.

You are describing a seroma, though the picture does not show any infection it should be cultured.

If you are a smoker stop smoking, it delays the healing.

You need to team up with your surgeon, follow instructions and treatment then you will have a chance of healing without significant problems. It is a partnership with your surgeon, you alone can not heal the wounds and he/she alone can not heal the wounds.

You need cultures, local wound care and follow up on a weekly or bi weekly basis with your surgeon.