Too Scared of General Anaesthetic?

I have some anxiety issues, and can have panic attacks from time to time... A couple of years ago I had surgery on my nose which left me with a saddle nose. I was due to go in for surgery today to fix it, but panicked so much I had to cancel, I am very, very upset about this. I had general anaesthetic before but was not aware of the risks, now I am, I panic about not waking up so much that it made me sick earlier (even though it's 1 in 250,000 and safer than driving). Please help :(

Too Scared of General Anaesthetic?

Your concerns about undergoing surgery/anesthesia are understandable and very common  Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully and he/she works with well experienced anesthesia providers in a fully accredited surgery center the chances of you having a anesthesia related complication are very small.  Of course, your past medical and surgical history should be carefully evaluated as well. Based on your question and the ( almost palpable) anxiety,  I think that you will be best off spending additional time with your plastic surgeon discussing your specific concerns. You should be aware that, generally speaking, patients who are relatively calm prior to surgery tend to do well afterwards as well. Best wishes.

Fear Of General Anesthesis For Revisional Rhinoplasty

Fear of general anesthesia is understandable but not you have acknowledged in your inquiry. There is no rationale way for you to overcome that fear. And for that reason you should not have elective nasal surgery. You will require significant sedation if ever you need medically nbecessary surgery but it is not worth the stress it will pose on everyone for elective surgery when there is such a simple solution to avoiding that problem

Scared of General Anesthesia

I suggest that you do not have a revision rhinoplasty if you are that scared of a general anesthetic. Ask your surgeon for a referral so you can get professional help; a rhinoplasty is not necessary, but some day you may need surgery. 

Everyone is different when is comes to general anesthesia

Many people are afraid of general anesthesia your panic attacks are possibly due to other underlying anxieties.  In your particular situation, considering a cosmetic procedure, the answer is easy, don't do it.  However it might be best to seek professional help so that if you need medically necessary surgery in the future you can avoid the panic attacks.  

Gen anesth safer than a car ride

as you apltly noted in your message statistically general anesthesia is safer than a car ride.  even with this knowledge many patients are still aprehensive and even panic as you did.  you may discuss with your md the use of benzos prior to surgery.  if planned well this might help.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

General anesthesia or intravenous sedation for rhinoplasty.

Although general anesthesia is probably the most common type of anesthesia used for rhinoplasty, many surgeons use intravenous sedation.  Consult with your surgeon and his anethesia doctor for more details.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, DDS, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon