Scar Treatment? How Soon?

How soon can I put sillicone strips on my scars? It's been a little over a week, my steri strips have fallen off and I'd like to put on the sillicone sheeting as soon as possible so my bras don't rub again the incisions.

Scar treatment

+1

I typically keep steri-strips or paper tape on the incision for 3 weeks.  I change it weekly.  The purpose is not to prevent against infection as the wound is completely sealed with skin in a few days.  What it does is keep the tension off the wound; a key step in keeping scars thin and flat.  At 3 weeks I remove  the tape and have my patients start scar massage with Bio-Oil (5-10 minutes per day).  I also have them wear silicone for about 16 hours per day.  Make sure to space it out and not put the silicone over the Bio-Oil.  I really like the silicone results.

For best results of a scar after breast augmentation is to avoid trauma to that scar.

+1

There really is nothing that will influence the outcome of the scar after breast augmentation. Silicone sheeting may protect the incision from irritation by a bra or other clothing. Check with your surgeon as to whether and when he wants to use this.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Scar Treatment

+1

Every plastic surgeon has a different method, so its best to ask yours. We usually recommend any type of scar treatment at 3 weeks post-op. This gives the incision enough time to close and heal. Vitamin E oil and silicone scar sheeting work very well.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Use of silicone gel sheeting for proactive scar management

+1

I like for patients to use silicone gel sheeting or a liquid silicone on the scars beginning at the end of the third week and continue to the end of the third month.  Your plastic surgeon may have a different protocol.  

Scar Treatment? How Soon?

+1

Post-operative instructions differ from surgeon to surgeon.  It is very important to follow your surgeon’s specific instructions accordingly.  When I see my breast augmentation patients during their post op appointment I usually have them start their silicone strips once the incision has healed around the 3 - 4 week mark.  Call or visit your surgeon’s office with any questions you may have.

Web reference: http://www.theplasticsurgeryclinic.com/procedures/breast/enlargment.html

Scar Treatment? How Soon?

+1

A very good subject to discuss with your surgeon.  However I normally recommend using the silicone sheeting as soon as the incisions are completely closed and healed. In some cases your skin will become irritated when using the sheeting.  If so stay away from them for a week or so and then go back to it.  They are a very useful tool in scar therapy.  

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

+1

Check with your surgeon first, but if the incision line is dry, you can probably begin placing the silicone strips or the equivalent within 2-3 weeks.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment? How Soon?

+1

Once the incision is healed over, you can use some type of scar product. Silicone sheeting is fine but paper tape is less expensive and stays on longer. Massage also helps as well.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Silicone sheeting after breast augmentation

+1

Even surgeon gives slightly different advice regarding when to start silicone sheeting or scar massage after surgery. I tell my patients to start 3 weeks after surgery, but I know some of my colleagues advise patients to start sooner. The safest thing to do is to call the office of your plastic surgeon - they should be able to give you their recommendations over the phone.

Australia Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

+1

Discuss this with your surgeon, as there are no set rules to scar management.  Scar Management is based on the patients needs.  Best wishes for a fast recovery!