Scar Treatment for 3 Y/O? (photo)

My 3 yo was cut in the head with a toy at school. Teacher said it bled a little bit. I'm paranoid about scarring. Next day I realized just how deep it is--definitely the deepest cut he's gotten. I'm worried that I should've taken him in for glue, as I'm afraid he will sustain a scar. The pictures are 5 days post injury. I'm using abx ointment and scar massage x 5 min each day with Vitamin E oil. Should I've taken him for glue? Feeling very guilty.What else can I do to decrease scarring?

Pulsed dye laser for forehead scars

+1

This wound will scar well, but to maximize the potential for healing you may consider early pulsed dye laser.

Scar treatment for a three year old

+1

children have a tendency to heal very well. Ointments are good early on. I would refrain from using them once the skin has closed. The avoidance of sunlight is important to prevent hyperpigmentation.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Scar Treatment for 3 year old?

+1

I wouldn't worry about your sons wound at this point. It's still very early. This scar will improve on its own for the next 12 months. In the meantime, you should keep it moist with vaseline or antibiotic ointment for the next couple of days. You can start Mederma which is available over the counter at 7 days post-injury. If the scar is objectionable at 12 months, you can consider dermabrasion or laser to blend it in or a small scar revision if the edges heal with a noticeable step-off. Chances are very good that this scar will heal well. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon