Scar Treatment for Scalded Asian Skin?

i have developed hypertrophic scarring on my chest as a result from scalding over 5 years ago. What type of treatment and the best treatment there is do I need to improve the appearance of the affected area? I'm afraid it could worsen with some type of surgical procedure. I'm an Asian and I learned that Asians tend to develop keloid and hypertrophic scars.

Keloid or hypertrophic scars are a difficult problem and...

+2

Keloid or hypertrophic scars are a difficult problem and there is no good solution.

My first suggestion would be to visit with a plastic surgeon to talk about your options. Any surgical procedure you have done runs a risks of keloid formation after the surgery and thus steps should be taken to decrease that risk. As mentioned, radiation is one form of treatment but I would resort to this only in extreme cases.

In my practice, I try more conservative methods first with steroid injections, followed by excision, with subsequent steroid injections after the excision to prevent keloid formation. Other procedures such as silicone sheeting and pressure dressings can be used in addition to the postexcision steroid injections.

From the photograph that you show, it looks like you suffer from a hypertrophic scar and not a keloid. In my experience, these respond well to steroid injections with some requiring excision. Hypertrophic scars in general are not uncommon after scald burn injuries. The first step though, is an evalution by a plastic surgeon who can look at the injury and give you a better idea of their recommendations.

Web reference: http://innovationspfs.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating a hypertrophic scar from an injury, acne, burn, or trauma

+1

This scar will require a combination of Melaquin PM for three months, followed by pulsed dye laser treatment. 

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Focus on what to fix

+1

You are correct that scarring in Asians can be hard to improve. The key is focusing on the item that seems the most ripe for improvement. See your surgeon to have the area examined and go through the options. Then think about it for a while before doing anything.

Best Regards.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

+1

The best way to handle this is with the use of a pulsed dye laser in combination with injected local steroid treatment. A series of treatments will be required. This will lessen the redness and thickness of your scar. A scar will always be present, but will be much improved after treatment.