Scar Treatment for Fair Colored African American?

What can I do to improve the scars? I am a fair colored African American. I don't believe they are keloids, but are dark brown, raised and wide.

Treatment of Scars for African American Patient?

+1

In person consultation will be necessary to determine the best way to treat the hypertrophic scars. Treatment options will include the use of silicone products, steroid injections, and/or scar revision surgery.

Scar treatments for African-American patients

+1

Today there are many excellent options for the revision of scars. Depending on the location of the scar, the scholar can often be removed and replaced with a thinner line. The success of this procedure depends on the quality of the scan as well as how much laxity is available in the tissues. If there is sufficient looseness, the scholar can be easily excised and closed the fashion that does not put too much tension on the skin. This will produce the best quality scar. It is also possible to use dermabrasion and the lightening cream to help improve scar quality.

Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience in breasts contouring and scar revision. They will assess the quality of your tissue and help determine what combination of techniques will help you meet your goals.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Scar treatment for African-American skin

+1

I treat a lot of women of various ethnicities and color. For all types, I usually recommend taping the incisions for several weeks after surgery. This helps with scarring and minimizes raised scars. The color usually fades with time.

There are many treatments for scars

+1

I agree that you need an exam by a plastic surgeon. Depending on the severity of your scars, you could be treated by a wide range of modalities. This could be a series of steroid injections or application of silicone based gels or sheets. If you are not a candidate for this, you may need removal of the scar with closure and close monitoring afterwords. It does not sound as though you have a keloid scar which can sometimes be controlled through low dose radiation treatments.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

They sound like Keloids or Hypertrophic scars

+1

You may benefit from one of a number of therapies including scar revision and steroid injection. You really need to be seen by a good plastic surgeon near you to be evaluated.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon