Deep Cut Top of Lip After A Fall. How To Prevent Scarring?

I recently had a fall. I have a deep cut from my nose to my lip which went right through at one point and it is jagged. I have had four stitches in it. It isn't healed yet. Is there anything i can do to help stop it scaring? It's at the stage where it has scabbed over. Thank you for any help. Rosemary.

Lip scars from the nose to the lip

+1

If there is indentation or a depression in the scar, you will likely benefit from scar excision and layered closure. I perform many of these secondary procedures in my practice. 

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Best Wound Healing

+1

Several factors will influence wound healing.  Some are within your control while others are not.  The direction of the wound will make a difference.  When we make a surgical scar we attempt to camouflage it by having the incision fall into a natural line of the face.  When trauma is the cause that is not a choice.  Having the incision closed using techniques of plastic surgery will insure the best wound.  As far as wound care goes:  Keep it moist, I like Aquaphor Ointment.  Keep it covered.  Clean it daily with a mild soap.  Keep the sun off of the wound.  Sun will lead to excessive pigmentation.  Once the sutures are removed, massaging the wound with cocoa butter with vitamin E helps.  I have not has much success with Mederma.  If you notice that the wound is getting more firm as time goes on, see a board certified dermatologist or a plastic surgeon.  This could be the sign of a hyper tropic scar or a keloid and steroid injections may be indicated.

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

Lip Scar

+1

The most important part in preventing a visible scar is that the cut is meticulously put back together.  If it is not, you may want to consider having it revised with a facial specialist.  Assuming it is reapproximated well (e.g. no step offs, puckered skin, etc), avoiding sun exposure will certainly help avoid any dark pigmentation.  I recommend that my patients use a special topical ointment for the face to prevent visible scarring.  Please note that the scarring will become less visible with time.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com