Do I Have Scar Tissue or is It Just Swelling? (photo)

I finally had a rhinoplasty two months ago. I am very happy with the results but my nose is still very swollen and looks big/thick with no definition. The very too of the bridge looks ok but the middle section/tip and particularly the sides are swollen. I can push down the swelling with pressure. I can feel scabs in the inside of nose too. I had open tech. Dorsal hump removed and tip work. Thanks

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

Dear oria1986,

1. The tip takes the most time for the swelling to get better
  2. You usually do not see these results until at least 3 months out, with the final result that can take 6-12 months
  3. Even after that, the nose will continue to change with time
  4. The fact that you can push the swelling down is a good sign that it will get better

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Do I Have Scar Tissue or is It Just Swelling?

+1

This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Persistent swelling two months after rhinoplasty.

+1

Photograph demonstrates shiny skin consistent with swelling of the nasal tip. This should improve with time and you should keep intermittent contact with your surgeon.

Swelling following rhinoplasty

+1

It is not abnormal to have swelling 2 months after rhinoplasty. In general, 70% of the swelling resolves after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take 18-24 months to see the final result of your rhinoplasty. The tip is usually the last to come around, as the swelling there can linger. I would advise against putting pressure on the nose, as this can increase swelling and delay healing time. Your nose will continue to go through changes as you heal, and it is best to be patient during the process. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

Hard to see if the tip is swelling or non resection of the lower lateral alar cartilages. If after 6 months you see no definition than that is most likely the final appearance

Postop swelling

+1

It is normal to have swelling that predominates in the lower half of the nose especially in individuals with thicker skin.  To help the swelling move more quickly you could use half inch paper taper at night to tape just above the tip (supratip area).

You could also ask your surgeon if you are a candidate for a kenalog injection (steroids).  I find this to be helpful in patients with thicker skin. 

Good Luck

George T. Moynihan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too early to judge final result after a rhinoplasty

+1

At two months you nose is still swollen and it is too early to judge the final results.  You need at least 6 more months before you will see better definition of your nose.  

Swelling Nose

+1

You should be patients about your final results, nose will be changing until you get all swelling away, you have to keep tracking the changes with your plastic surgeon, Best Wishes!

Australia Fragoso Baez, MD

Nose swollen after 2 months

+1

It is normal for there to be a good amount of swelling at this point, especially if you have thick skin (as it appears from your photos). Be patient and allow the healing to take place.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon