Should Scar Tissue Be Removed Also During Breast Implant Removal?

I'm getting my breast implants removed, because I decided that I no longer want them in my body. I will not be replacing them, but am doing one final surgery to remove them. Some reading suggests that the scar tissue should be removed also when getting the implants removed- is this true?

Scar tissue or capsule removal (caspulectomy) with breast implant removal (explantation)

+1

I assume you mean the capsule when you say scar tissue. Breast implants can certainly be removed(explantation) under local anesthesia. In regards to the capsule, there is some controversy among surgeons if this should be removed and this is difficult to perform under local

Shouls scar tissue around the breast implant be removed during implant removal?

+1

I always perform at least a capsulotomy (scoring the capsule) so that the capsule "sticks" to each surface.  If this is not done, there is a chance of fluid collection.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

No, the capsule does not necessarily need to be removed with breast implant explantation. I will drain the implant pocket to avoid fluid collection as the capsule shrinks. If the capsule is thick and problematic then removal may be recommended. But removal of all capsules can cause too much breast volume loss in an already small breasted patient. I perform both techniques in my practice very successfully.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

Yes the capsule should be removed. There has been reports of fluid accumolation if the capsule is not removed.

Breast implant removal

+1

When I remove breast implants, I may or may  not remove the capsule in part or in total.   If it is soft, then ususally the body just resorbs it.  If it is hard I will remove it.