Scar Tissue Removal Necessary Before Removing Saline Breast Implants?

I am getting my textured Saline breast implants removed. Do I need to have my scar tissue removed?

Implant removal

+1

I assume you mean the capsule. If the capsule is soft and thin, then there is no specific reason to remove it.  If it is hard and painful, then it should be removed.

+1

If you are considering uncomplicated textured saline removal, I do not beleieve that a capsulectomy is warranted

Scar tissue removal usually necessary before explantation

+1

This is a matter of opinion. Usually, some degree of scar tissue removal helps open the pocket and soften things, particularly if you choose a larger implant size or implant removal without replacement.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue around breast implants

+1

The two most common reasons why scar tissue around a breast implant has to be removed are

1. There is capsular contracture

2. The implant is being switched in position from above the muscle to below the muscle.

If one of these situations applies to you, then you will need to have the scar removed.

John Diaz, MD

Scar tissue removal before removing Saline breast implants

+1

Girlee,

It all depends on :
- WHY the are your saline implants being removed (leak, capsule, infection etc)?
- Is this the first time they are removed?
- Will new implants be put in?
- If so, are they being placed in the same pocket or will a new pocket be developed for them?

Normally we perform a minimal capsulectomy (capsule scar removal) in cases where the scar does not gnarl the breast or compromises its shape. Removing scar off the floor (over the rib cage can be both bloody and be associated occasionally with penetration into the chest - especially in thin chested, nonathletic women).

If your cases is a regular implant exchange, it would NOT require a complete or a near complete scar / capsule removal.

I hope this was helpful.