Scar Tissue (Pollybreak)? (photo)

During my rhinoplasty, the surgeon told me that i had excess bleeding. Could that be the reason why i am experiencing abnormal swelling. I have attached pictures to show you. I realised after the surgery that alcohol and smoking is prohibited, however my surgeon who is actually ranked the top 100 plasti surgeon in the world did not inform me of such which upsets me. Could this also trigger the abnormal swelling? Should i be concerned? Could i form scar tissue

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after a rhinoplasty is very common in every patient who undergoes the procedure. What you are describing sounds normal. Though smoking can produce harmful effects on the body, I'd recommend speaking with your surgeon about the risks specific to your procedure.

Scar Tissue after Rhinoplasty?

+1

Anyone can develop scar tissue after surgery. Smokers have 12 times the wound healing problems as their non-smoker counter parts. I often turn down cosmetic patients that want surgery because they smoke. The face has such a rich blood supply that usually things will heal, but certainly much slower and more risky in a smoker. You are only a few days out from surgery. Swelling is at it's worst up to 6 weeks. You will need to give this 6-12 months before things are what they are. Be patient and let things heal. It is the hardest part to train patients to be calm and let things happen slow over time.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Do I have a post operative polly beak?

+1

It is impossible to evaluate your Polly Beak ( swelling just above the tip) without a side view photo. From the front it doesn't appear that you have one, however. Also I  have no idea how long it has been since your rhinoplasty. It could just be temporary swelling.

If you do have a polly beak, the problem is an imbalance between the tip and the dorsal aspect of the nose. This may require cartilage grafts to increase the tip projection and/or lowering the dorsal aspect of the nose. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can help you with this problem.

Regarding smoking, I know of no one that doesn't' know that smoking is bad for virtually everything, including healing of wounds.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak has many causes

+1
The development of supra tip fullness or a polly beak as it is sometimes called can be the result of swelling early on, scar, over reduction of the bridge, or even under reduction is the lower nasal bridge. Alcohol will dialate blood vessels in the nose and it is possible to increase swelling. Your surgeon will have to have a look and guide you. (there really is no ranking by the way)

Postop rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose looks very good to me.  I really have no idea what you are talking about.  I would leave it alone.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Swelling nose post rhinoplasty

+1

The pictures posted are so low resolution that its not worth commenting on the results.

If 4 months from now the swelling stays this way for my patients I inject Kenalog (traimcinolone ) that dissolves scar tissue.I am not sure how your PS deals with such situations.

Wish you good luck

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Polybeak deformity

+1

A polly beak deformity can occur with inadequate resection or from scar tissue. Your photos do not show the profile well.

Rhinoplasty final result usually visible at four months.

+1

Hi.

I assume your surgery was recently, and I see improvement between the first and second picture.  You still look quite swollen.  But if you do have a problem in a few months, it was not caused by alcohol or smoking.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pollybeak Deformity after Rhinoplasty

+1

Patient healing characteristics are very individual and excess scar formation can be a possibility.  If you received rhinoplasty from a highly skilled rhinoplasty surgeon, then ask his or her opinion on your concerns.  If you have not reached a year from your surgery, you nose will likely undergo further changes.