Liposuction Risk when Scar Tissue on Hip

I have scar tissue on one hip, right in the "saddlebag" area (a patch about 2.5" in diameter) from a bad fall back in my 20's. (It was much more noticeable when I was thinnner). I'm now in my 40's. What is the risk if I get Liposuction? Is there any way to get rid of the scar tissue on that hip?

Liposuction vs. Scar Revision vs. Fat Transfer

+2

An old scar from a previous fall sounds like an abrasion that healed spontaneously, or perhaps a laceration that was not sutured professionally. In either case, it is now less noticeable than when you were younger, but still is bothersome.

There should be no reason why Liposuction cannot be done in the area around the old scar. In fact, if the original injury has caused an indentation in the area of the scar, your surgeon can harvest some of the fat from the Liposuction and can transplant the fat beneath the depressed scar. Autologous Fat Transfer or Fat Grafting can be done to smooth deep wrinkles, to add volume to the cheeks and lips, and can also be used to fill indentations from old traumatic injuries, re-using the fat being liposuctioned out of unwanted areas, rather than discarding it.

Discuss your options with your plastic surgeon. You may benefit from some combination of Liposuction, Fat Transfer, and Scar Revision, to reach your goal.

Saddlebag Area Scar and Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a 3D construction project. The patient is viewed and marked from all angles, taking into consideration the present, the desired look and any potential obstruction or challenges such as scarring, tethering, depressions and loose skin standing in the way of achieving that look.

Liposuction is then carried on removing only the areas that need removal while leaving other areas alone. Oftentimes, areas of depression may be released (with Toledo or Pickle Fork canulas) and fat grafted to raise them.

Dr. P. Aldea

Liposuction OK around scar tissue.

+1

Hi.

You are not at any additional risk because of your scar when you have liposuction of the thighs. In fact, the scarred area can be improved with a little fat transfer or fat injections at the same time.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The risk of Liposuction in the face of a previous scar can only be determined by a personal consult

+1

Liposuction may actually be a help to minimize your scar on your love handle area. Unfortunately the appropriate procedure
to give you the best results can only be determined after a personal consult and physical exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Some scars require surgical scar revision which could very likely be done simultaneously with your liposuction. You many even need fat grafting under the scar along with scar revision with or with out liposuction. It is critical that you explore all these options with your surgeon before making any decision.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Use it!

+1

Liposuction +/- fat injection can be effective in correcting deformities from traumatic injuries. Look at this as an opportunity to correct something that has apparently bothered you all of your life. See your board certified plastic surgeon. We are best trained and equiped to deal with reconstructive situations such as yours. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD