Laser Liposuction for Scar Tissue Build-up?

I have scar tissue building up around the incision from my hysterectomy 3 years ago. Will  Laser Liposuction be able to get that scar tissue out?

Laser liposuction for hysterectomy scar

+2

It is not always a straightforward procedure to perform a scar revision on a hysterectomy scar. In the right hands, a scar revision predictably achieves beautiful results. An irregular scar with stepoffs, contour irregularities and tethered areas can be transformed to a flat incision with minimal stepoffs.

If the scarring is extensive or could potentially involve incisional hernias (through which bowel can herniate and could be potentially burned by the laser), an anesthetic may be warranted. Many women receive a micro- tummy tuck with this procedure to remove the scarred tissue completely. The danger of damage to the bowel is real and can result in a tragedy if the procedure were blindly performed with a laser.

To achieve the very best results, I would consult with a plastic surgeon interested in performing abdominal scar revisions, preferably one board certified in general surgery and plastic surgery (for experience with difficult incisional hernias).

I cannot imagine a worse tool than a laser to repair a difficult hysterectomy scar.

Laser Liposuction does not improve scars

+1

Laser liposuction is essentially liposuction that has a potentially added benefit of tightening skin. This is very similar to ultrasonic liposuction. However, no type of liposuction can actually improve a scar. If there is a concern about the scar, it needs to be addressed by either a scar revision (surgical procedure), or lasers, or steroid injections. Seek an experienced plastic surgeon and get a consultation. Good luck!

Sirish Maddali, MD

Laser liposuction is not a scar treatment-surgical excision and revision is best

+1

While laser liposuction has been used successfully to release depressions caused by previous liposuction, the laser lipo technique will have no effect on a hysterectomy scar.

Surgical excision of the scar and revision of the repair will give you the best result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Garbage!

+1

If you want liposuction or a tummy tuck, go for it! If you want the scar revised, then do that . I obviously am not a fan of the laser or "SmartLipo" for many reasons.

It may be that a first step after evaluation of the scar would be simple steroid injections or sheeting. Perhaps other creams might be in order. A scar revision may be the best bet. Liposuction for a scar is generally not an indication.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Scar tissue and laser liposuction

+1

An unfavorable scar from a c-section probably would best be treated by having a scar revision.  Laser liposuction will have very little to no effect on the scar.

Scar tissue build up?

+1

Dear Fatbelly,

I don't quite understand the description of "scar tissue building up". If it is the external appearance of your scar, such as keloid or hypertrophic scarring, either injection with a cortisone like substance or a surgical revision, or both might help. If it is scar tissue in the deeper tissues, then possibly liposuction above and below the scar might smooth out the contour of the area. At any rate, laser liposuction will NOT remove scar tissue. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Laser Liposuction for scar tissue build-up?

+1

Your question may be more accurately answered if photographs showing your concerns were attached. It is hard to buy clothing for someone without knowing their size or cook a meal without knowing what ingredients are available.

In general any type of scar tissue build up usually requires a scar revision vs removing / reducing fat with or without a laser. If there is an adhesion (indentation) then rearranging tissue surgically may give the doctor better control and you a better result.

Michael Kulick, MD

Scar Tissue Will Not be Helped By Liposuction of Any Type

+1

If you are speaking of a thickened skin scar, then liposuction (laser, or any other kind) will not be helpful.

If you are referring to scar tissue beneath the scar, then direct removal of the scar would be best. 

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Hysterectomy scar and laser

+1

Scar tissue is totally different from fatty tissue for which laser assisted liposuction/liposculpture is designed. It sounds like you would be better treated by directed surgical excision and scar revision BUT only after an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon. If the scar tissue is hypertrophic or thickened or even a keloid scar, there are different treatments. Keloids are much more difficult to deal with and "cure". Plastic surgeons deal constantly with scar tissue and their abnormalities and can best advise you what will remedy your situation after a thorough examination and history.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction is not a good scar treatment

+1

I want to make a simple correction. It is termed laser lipolysis which literally means laser breaking up fat cells. Liposuction is a separate procedure which can or cannot be performed with laser lipolysis. Therefore it is not likely that laser lipolysis or liposcution will do anything for the scar. You most likely need scar revision although liposuction may diminish the appearance of the fullness ABOVE the scar.