Scar Tissue in Nostril After Rhinoseptoplasty? (photo)

I have had a open rhinoseptoplasty two years ago Around 2/3 months after having it done i noticed the right nostil a white hard mass This causes me sonetimes with a blocked nose I asked the dr he said it was scar tissue and it will go 2 years later it has not Any ideas what it is? Solution?

Nasal Mass after Rhinoplasty

+2

If you had a hump reduced on the dorsum or "bridge" of the nose through an internal incision, that incision was most likely placed in the area that is shown in your photos. This incision is made between the upper and lower lateral cartilages of the nose. The white tissue is unexposed cartilage from the upper lateral cartilage of the nose. As long as the appearance and function of the nose is unaffected, then I recommend that you leave it alone. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your question and photos!

Scar Tissue Causing Blockage

+1

The incision made appears to be made in the right place, and the scar should not cause nasal obstruction.  If you have periodic problems this may be due to allergies or another anatomic problem.

Scar Tissue After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you are describing sounds like it is most likely scar tissue. Unless this is a MAJOR functional or aesthetic concern for your, I would leave alone. Undergoing additional surgeries increases your risk of weakening your nose and can result in less optimal outcomes.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Scar Tissue after Rhinoplasty?

+1

It does not appear that this is scar tissue. It appears to me that this is just your normal cartilage in an area where you most likely had an incision for your procedure. I would have your surgeon take a look. Most likely it will resolve in time, but it is hard to really say without seeing it.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Scar tissue after Rhinoplasty

+1

After an open rhinoplasty, the hardest thing for patients can be to wait the two years for the swelling to go all the way down so that they can see the final result.  It is very difficult to tell from your pictures what exactly is going on.  It certainly could be an area of scar tissue that will go away on it's own.  That being said, in this area specfically, I would want to make sure that you don't have a small piece of exposed cartilage.  I would recommend having your surgeon look at it again with a good light and make sure that this is not the case.  If it is, it is likely an easy fix that he/she may even be able to fix in the office.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Cartilage Contour in Nose Following Rhinoplasy

+1

From the photo provided, the prominence appears to represent a segment of cartilage that is covered by the internal lining of the nose. It is probably displaced from where it should be, which may be contributing to your difficulty breathing. You should have it carefully examined and possibly revised. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon