Is This Scar Tissue Forming or Just Regular Swelling? (photo)

Before my surgery 3 weeks ago, I did NOT have a hump. I had a droopy tip and wide nostrils. I had septo/rhino surgery and I am not sure if my nose was broken? I have looked at tons of pics on line and I cannot seem to find anyone that after 3 weeks they develop a hump. I understand swelling, but this feels rock hard. My PS used cranial bone to build my tip, but could he have pushed it that far up? Also, when I mentioned this to him, he said "oh, that... don't worry about it" But I am.

You Will Need An Examination

+2

The location that you are referring does not typically have swelling to the extent that I can see in the picture.  It is also concerning that it is "rock hard" as that would suggest that it is due to a shifted or poorly placed cranial bone graft.  If that is the case, then a revision rhinoplasty would have to be done to correct the deformity.  

You are still early in your healing process and would not be a candidate for a revision at this time.  I would continue to follow up with your PS during the initial healing phase and then seek other options if it does not improve.

I hope that the bump is swelling and will improve overtime.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump

+2

Hi,

I dont think this is swelling. It looks like the implant may be too high and not the right shape. In my opinion, you will need a revision to correct this. Furthermore, you dont have to wait a year for the revision, this will not get better on its own.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Bump after rhino with bone grafting

+1

A bump in that area is probably not swelling. Is it mobile or fixed? Wait a short while then confront your surgeon if it is still there

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Is This Scar Tissue Forming or Just Regular Swelling?

+1

It looks like it might be some of the cranial bone graft that's placed on the nasal bridge...but only your Rhinoplasty Surgeon knows for certain.  If this is indeed cranial bone, it's not going to decrease as post-Rhinoplasty swelling would do over the next several months and would most likely require an intervention to reduce or remove the dorsal bone graft.  Hope this helps.