Scar Tissue from Eyelid Surgery and Healing Times

it takes about a year for all the scar tissue in the eyelid from eyelid surgery to soften right? im guessing some of the stiffness is from the swelling, but in general, I am a very quick healer. Is it even possible that almost all of my swelling is gone by the 3rd month, because my PS said I healed extremely quickly and he can't detect a trace of swelling. but the internal and external scar tissue, that always heals right? in all cases?

Scar tissue from eyelid surgery and healing times?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Healing of Scar Tissue After Eye Lid Surgery

The hardness and scar tissue under the skin is very common, and may take 6-12 months to resolve.  Massaging the area may help speed up the process.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid scars

For up to six months, scar tissue may get worse before it gets better.  In general, keloids and hypertrophic scars do not occur with eyelid skin. This is some of the thinnest skin of the whole body.  Time is generally your ally with these scars.  Some massage may help them to soften, but this is better early in the course of recovery.  I have revised many scars following surgery, but never eyelid scars.  I would give it at least 4 more months before being concerned.

Jason Hess, MD

Eyelid scar tissue

After eyelid surgery the resultant scar tissue will undergo remodeling.this secondary healing phase may last a year or more.There may be soem pulling or tightness as the scar contracts.This is all normal.everyone heals at a different pace.Massaging the incisions may speed up the resolution of this phase.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon